The Lost Art of the Letter

The Lost Art of the Letter

And no, not the alphabetical ones

8
The Lost Art of the Letter
Greenlikebathwater

I had a really interesting experience earlier this week while at home doing homework. My roommate came into my room and asked me if I knew how to write a letter. I'll admit, I gave her a strange look, and told her I did in a more sarcastic way than I probably should have. Then she asked for my help writing one to her sister. And it kinda hit me that most people, especially in my generation don't do that.

We all learn to write them at some point, usually in the early years of elementary school. But It's not a skill a lot of people hold onto because we just don't need to use it. We have all these ways to communicate like phone calls, emails, text messages, and social media that are easier to use and save a lot of time getting a message across. But when it comes to sending letters nowadays that's not usually the point.

I don't know about you, but when I get a letter in the mail I get super excited. I feel all happy that someone was willing to take time out of their day and write down whatever they want to say to me. They also paid for a little sticker thing in the corner that lets it get to me, and waited two or more days to actually know I got it. When someone takes that time and effort to do something little like that it really makes people feel special.

That feeling is the reason I write letters so much. Taking time to write to someone and send it is super fun for me. And I love the idea of that little note making them feel the way I do when I get one. I've been writing and receiving letters my entire life. Whether it's from family while I am away at summer camp, or pen pals that still write after I moved away, it was something I always did. I still get just as excited to get a letter as I did when I was a little kid. I think thats the point of a letter. To make someone feel cared for, and special. To let them know they were worth the time and effort even when it wasn't required.