The Legend of Korra Continues in a New Comic Trilogy

Korra is back to protect Republic City from new threats.

61
Screen Crush

The Legend of Korra is a cartoon that aired from 2012 to 2014 created by Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. It’s a sequel to the popular Avatar: The Last Airbender, featuring a fantastic world that centers around people that can control the elements. When Avatar ended, the story continued with trilogies of comic books, and now Korra is doing the same. The first of the new trilogy, titled Turf Wars, has just been released and the second book is available for pre-order.

Turf Wars: Part One picks up right where the show left off, with Korra and Asami going to the Spirit World together. When their vacation ends, together they and the rest of their friends and allies have many problems to deal with in Republic City, from Spirit-human conflicts to gang violence.

By the end of the show, the creators did as much as they could, while still having to be acceptable with the censors, to tell the viewers that Korra and Asami are bisexual and entering into a relationship with each other at the end of the finale. They weren’t able to explicitly state these things about the couple, known by fans as Korrasami, leading some people to deny it and claim that the series ended with a focus on “true friendship.” DiMartino and Konietzko confirmed Korra and Asami’s relationship on their blogs shortly after the series finale.

With the comic, the creators are no longer bound by the censors and can now have Korra and Asami explicitly state that they are in a romantic relationship together. There is even another character that was suspected by some fans to be LGBT+ and is now confirmed to be so in the comic. The universe this comic is set in has existed since 2005, but this comic is the first time there is undeniable LGBT+ representation. The comic even briefly addresses how the four different nations have viewed LGBT+ relationships throughout this world’s history.

As a fan of Legend of Korra, I'm glad to see that the story hasn't ended yet. This comic is a great continuation of Korra’s story. I’m really happy to see the LGBT+ representation and I’m glad that it also expands on the world-building. The story is compelling and I enjoyed this graphic novel. I think it’s a strong start to a new trilogy and I can’t wait to read the next one.