The Krispy Kreme on Franklin Street is Full of Lies

37
By KATIE KAMIN
I have lived my entire life in the South. I’ve been raised with sweet tea, lots of fried vegetables and a whole lot of Southern sayings and colloquialisms. And like any other good Southerner, I know that Krispy Kreme makes the best doughnuts in the entire world.I will fight tooth and nail with my Northern friends over this topic, and my opinion is planted so firmly in this belief that I would rather die than say any other doughnut company is superior to Krispy Kreme.

I think anything produced my Dunkin’ Donuts is as dry as the Sahara, and those doughnuts for sale at Harris Teeter are barely a step up from cardboard. So, imagine my dismay when I went to the Krispy Kreme on Franklin Street and was sold the most disappointing excuse for a doughnut. 

I have passed this Krispy Kreme all of last semester and most of this one, and in an attempt to combat the Freshmen 15, I have refrained from ever actually entering. One particular day when my parents were visiting however, the glorious red light proclaiming “Hot Now” doughnuts was begging me to come inside and eat a little piece of heaven. 

I walked in the doors overjoyed with my decision to splurge and buy a delicious glazed doughnut, and my mouth was watering in anticipation. It had been months since I had had the pleasure of enjoying Krispy Kreme, and no words could even explain my excitement. 

I placed my order and waited patiently while they prepared my doughnut, and when it was ready, I eagerly marched to the counter to retrieve arguably the most scrumptious food in existence. I then delicately pulled the doughnut from the bag and took a bite, only to be incredibly dissatisfied and disgruntled. 

This doughnut was not the heavenly dessert I believed I was purchasing. No, this doughnut was a lie. This doughnut was merely a glazed doughnut snatched from the case, tossed in the microwave, and nuked for 30 seconds. This doughnut was, quite frankly, an utter waste of my money. 

It’s disheartening to think that students from up North will never truly get to experience a “Hot Now” glazed doughnut from Krispy Kreme and will return to their homes thinking that Dunkin’ Donuts is the best company in the United States. Get your act together, Krispy Kreme, and stop feeding Tarheels these sorry excuses for doughnuts. Us Southerners know the truth, and you’re not serving it.