The Kiss

The Kiss

I just wanted to sit close to ye

26
The Kiss

“Now that all of us be ‘ere let us be saying grace,” Branson said. “Let’s all grab ‘ands,” He said as he grabs Agitha and Bowen’s hands. Seamus grabs mine and I grab on to Allan’s. Seamus’s hand feels like he put it on fire. We bow our heads and Branson says grace. Everyone is quick to let each others hands go except Seamus. He held onto my hand much longer than the others.

Throughout dinner he was silent. I was mainly quiet except when I was asked a question. Branson told Agitha and the boys about our journey. He told humorous stories about the crew. He even bribed to Agitha on my cooking. All in all dinner was a very cheerful meal.

After dinner we all retired to the living room. Branson and Agitha sat on the massive leather couch. Allan and Bowen played with their toys on the floor and Sean sat in one of the arm chairs reading what looked to be a Sci-Fi novel. I sat on the loveseat with Seamus. He was reading a worn out novel and I just sat on the couch looking around at the room.

Seamus’s leg was touching mine and I noticed how warm and strong it was. I don’t know what it was, but I felt very comfortable in his closeness. More comfortable than I have been in years. I leaned my head on my hand which was resting on the armrest and I stared into the fire. I watched the fire dance. The flames licked the walls causing a black film to form on the grey stone. I could feel its heat even though I was all the way across the room.

In the back of my mind I heard a familiar voice, "Irean honey, don’t go too close to the fireplace. You will burn yourself.” the voice said in a loving way. I closed my eyes and tried to match the voice. It finally came to me that it was my mother's. I was just a little girl when she had told me that. We were in our house back in America. I remember that she came and sat down next to me and the smell of her flowery perfume mixed with the smoky scent of the fire.

I was taken out of my memory with Agitha’s voice, “Right lads, I think it be time for ye to be getting yerselves to bed,” she said standing up and walking over to Allan and Bowen. Sean closed his book and stood up, and walked over to the stairs. Agitha gathered up the boy’s toys and had them join Sean at the stairs. “Alright lads say g’night to yer papa,” she said with a smile.

“G’night Papa,” the boys said in unison.

Branson turned around. “G’night lads,” he said with a smile on his face. The boys smiled and ran up the stairs with Agitha following them. “Well ya two I will be going to bed me self. ‘Ave a g’night,” He said standing up and walking up the stairs.

Seamus and I sat in silence for a few minutes until I spoke, “What are you reading?”.

“To be honest I ‘aven’t been reading a word this ‘ole time. I just been sittin ‘ere acting like I be reading. I just wanted to sit close to ye,” He answered closing his book and turning to look at me. I just stared at him in silence. He didn’t say a word either. I watched as the shadows of the fire danced across his face. I just stared at him. There was something in his eyes that just held me in his gaze. Suddenly he leaned forward and gently touched his lips to mine. I didn’t know what to for the first few moments, then all of the sudden I was lost.

His hands moved up to my chin and held my face. I was captive in the feel and taste of his lips, the smell of his skin, and the warmth of his touch. I lifted my hand to his face. It fit perfectly to the shape of my hand. Our kiss lasted for what felt like years until he pulled away. “I ‘ave been wantin to do that since the moment I saw ye,” he told me looking into my eyes. He leaned in and kissed me once more, and stood up. “Come on I will walk ye to yer room,” he said reaching for my hand. I grabbed it slid off of the loveseat and followed him up the stairs.

We walked down the long hallway until we came to my door. We stood holding hands for a few silent moments until I looked up into his eyes. He was watching me. He leaned down and kissed me deeply then opened my to my room. “‘Ave a g’night. I ‘ope yer dreams be sweet,” he said giving me a kiss on the cheek.