See That Something Has To Be Done, And Do It!

Let's appreciate our community colleges and let's make sure we make WISE decisions.

20
Lisa Sherman

I would like to welcome my neighbor and friend Bob Sherman. He has been living an incredible life! From working in schools to writing a book. He has been very busy living his life.

Who has been the most helpful to you?

Bob's family has been the most helpful to him. He has a wife named Lisa and a daughter named Catherine. He also has a fourth family member named Thunderpaws. Yes, he is a cat. A very cute cat.

What jobs have you held?

He was part of the public school department. He taught Special Services, Programs for the staff for Special Ed students and for Gifted Students. He managed two evaluation teams where he diagnosed education and psychiatric problems.

He was then hired by two or three agencies. He was at Saint Mary's Home for The Children for a year and a half.

Bob also renovated a historical house in East Greenwich, RI.

It doesn't stop there. Bob also owned a real-estate company. There he bought and sold rental properties in Cranston RI.

He designed computer software programs for schools so that they could keep track of their students. He also designed a program for South Kingstown department so that they could keep track of their books. Bob wrote software for businesses to keep track of sales.

For the past two years, Bob has been doing research. He has been writing a weekly column. You can find his recent work at www.survivingthecostofcollege.com under the Sunday Column tab. This week he is writing about the ITT Tech Program. ITT Tech has been scamming kids/students for the past 15 years. ITT Tech has been sued. Corinthian was another school that just closed their doors. Lastly, Bob wrote about Reserve Officer Training.

He is always looking for ways to save money so that he can write about it and so that the rest of us can help improve our lives. He would also write about recent bad events that happen.

Why do you run 5Ks?

Bob runs 5Ks because he uses these races as his rewards. He runs every other day which is not that fun. It is a reward for staying in shape to run with 500 other people. Bob always comes in the top three. He mostly gets second place, proving that his hard work and determination has paid off. Another reason why he likes 5Ks is because he loves the T-shirts that gets and he also gets a cool pair of glasses.

What was the longest race you have ever run?

The longest race he has ever run was a five-mile race. He likes to watch 5Ks mostly.

He ran the Irish 5K two Sundays ago. The CVS Classic is in two weeks. Everyone should go see him run that race. When he isn't running 5Ks, he plays tennis. During the winter, Bob skies.

Who inspires you?

During the 5K races, the runners inspire him.

Everyday life inspiration: An ideal of the most important thing, your health. Make wise decisions to take care of your family, and to spend your money wisely. His greatest inspiration is to take care of his family.

He is constantly reading books, especially science books. "The drive to do something comes from inside." You see something that needs to be done and you just do it.

What is your book about?

Yes, you heard that right. Bob is writing a book. His book is about how he explains FASFA to the parents. The book also talks about how to use FASFA and a system that allows you to fill it out in 20 minutes. He also talks about Federal forms and how those forms make life easier. Another topic that will be in the book is the CSF profile for private college and how to save for college without losing your shirt.

You will see tips on how to save the most money; an IRA account, 401's home-life insurance, and mutual funds. How to evaluate private schools. The students that are in college, more than half of them have children and they are the ones being taken advantage of.

There's also a part of the book where he talks about his lovely cat Thunderpaws.

Let us recognize our community colleges. Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI) has five campuses. It is an affordable option for school, without making you broke. We also have Bristol Community College (BCC). BCC has about three to four campuses. These colleges need a lot more recognition. They make going to college and getting a degree an affordable option. Can you say that about any other college?

Thank you Bob Sherman for the amazing interview and for the kind words of support about attending a community college. Everyone should look forward to reading his new book when it comes out. Just look for the name Bob Sherman.