Project Management Tools Are WAY More Important Than Most People Think They Are

Identify which activities and projects can add greater value and focus resources on those activities

98
Photo by Scott Graham on Unsplash

Cost reduction is usually the first action taken in any company. However, these measures usually have a relatively short course and should be accompanied by measures that allow for optimizing the use of human and material resources with a long-term perspective.

Regardless of whether the company is in a time of abundance or a time of scarcity, although especially relevant in the latter, we have to ensure that the resources we have are used efficiently in activities that add value to organizations. For this reason, it is very important to establish mechanisms that allow us to know what we dedicate our resources to and identify which activities and projects can add greater value and focus resources on those activities.

What companies must achieve is that the mechanisms are implemented by necessity. In order to optimize the use of resources, they become part of the organizational culture and are not simply temporary measures.

In this environment, project management tools become a very interesting tool to support the activity of companies. Although, their use will vary depending on the type of company and its size. The most common is to find them in large and service-oriented organizations, where solutions are sought that provide a global and integrated vision of the entire life cycle of projects.

These organizations are characterized by managing multiple resources, in different physical locations, with a multitude of activities to perform. They use great project management solutions, often integrated into business ERPS, which allow them to manage the entire Project Portfolio. In this way, they can know the live situation of the different projects.

However, the proliferation of simple solutions based on SaaS (Software as a Service) licensing in the cloud and even Open Source, has allowed SMEs to access and use project management tools. Simple, decisive and low-cost solutions solve the most common problems of project planning and management, with the advantage of assuming a very low cost that facilitates access to any type of company, be it SMEs or Large Companies.

This implies that organizations do not need to have their own infrastructure, they only need an internet connection and pay a monthly fee per user, and it gives them the advantage of the knowledge and support of a company with experience in this type of tools, as well as availability, and scalability.

Although until recently it was considered that SMEs are not prepared to face project management efficiently, that is changing little by little thanks to this proliferation of low-cost solutions. Many times there is the perception that project management is something of large organizations, with projects that are very long in time and with large budgets. However, management techniques can also be applied in small projects, with few resources and with little budget.

There are various kinds of project management tools available on the market. The most famous is ClickUp, but several other tools are ready to shift its dominance, one of which is Nifty. Nifty is a project management tool that comes with the best of features, which is why we decided in this article to compare it to "the king" ClickUp.

Both ClickUp and Nifty have basic features like Backlog Management, Priority, Resource Management, Kanban Board, Request Management, Status Tracking, Retrospective Management and so on.

In terms of price, Nifty offers a much cheaper monthly subscription fee of only $ 5.00 / month. Compare with ClickUp which reached $ 39.99!

But if you look at the other features, ClickUp has at least 3 weaknesses. This application does not provide Portable Team Chat, Swimlane View, and Creative Google Native Docs. Of course this is a striking weakness considering the monthly subscription fee is up to 8 times that of Nifty.

From the above review, it can be concluded that Nifty is a ClickUp alternative that is even better than ClickUp itself. Its lower cost and more comprehensive features are two reasons for this. This is evidenced by the increasing number of ClickUp customers who are turning to Nifty.

But keep that in mind that despite all this, we must not confuse that project management tools are just that, A TOOL, and never an end in itself. Without a good knowledge base and processes it is difficult for a simple tool helps organizations improve their performance.