pride month

It's Impossible To Overstate the Importance of Pride

Pride Month and Gay Pride is so darn important.

129

We have all heard it before. The "We don't have straight pride, so why is there gay pride?" or the "Gay people don't need pride month or pride anything."

The thing is though, LGBTQIA+ people weren't allowed to marry who they loved in the U.S. until June 26th, 2015. That was only almost three years ago. But, people have been across the spectrum since the beginning of time.

Since so many people are disgusted by gay pride or don't believe it's necessary, here are some gut-wrenching facts to show just how much pride is needed:

Homosexual activity is illegal in 73 countries. 73. Let that sink in. That means just kissing your partner could lead to jail time and fines.

In Saudi Arabia, Iran, Afghanistan, and Mauritania, homosexuality is punishable by DEATH. People are getting murdered for loving a person with the same genitals as themselves.

In some countries, same-sex couples cannot adopt a child. There are thousands of children in the foster care system who could have a loving home, but their country is too homophobic to let them.

These are just a FEW problems that need to be solved immediately. There are many religious arguments against same-sex marriage, but was the Bible not written by various men over centuries? Does Jesus not say love thy brother?

Even more so, one sin and 1,000 sins are all weighed the same. Wearing clothing of mixed fabrics is a sin (See Leviticus 19:19 and Deuteronomy 22:11), but I'm sure every single person reading this article is committing that sin. If you think homosexuality is a horrible sin and not equal in the eyes of God to your mixed fabric sin, you have another thing coming, buddy.

If seeing pictures of rainbow flags and same-sex couples celebrating love in California or Rhode Island can give hope to LGBTQIA+ people in countries with strict homophobic laws, then pride is 1,000% worth it. The Gay Community needs their own time to be who they are after thousands of years of oppression.

If you are LGBTQIA+ and struggling, please see https://www.thetrevorproject.org which has resources and a 24/7 call helpline. Or you can see http://www.happyhippies.org/#resources for resources and a 24/7 text and call helpline.