The Importance Of Having A Good Coworker

Coworkers can be friends.

58
myself

Having a full time job, though important, is not always the most fun thing. We would all like to think that our jobs -- whether they are careers or simply summer jobs -- will be fulfilling, bearable and maybe even (dare I say) fun! There are so many variables, however, that go into a day on the job. You may have a cranky or just downright nasty boss. You may not like the job itself, and maybe you work with some people who, let's just say, you would not choose. All of these things are just a few reasons why it is so important to have a good coworker.

No one wants to be left picking up another person's slack, having to complete their work as well as your own. And no one wants to work with someone who has a nasty, rude or inconsiderate personality either. It's great to have at least one co-worker who becomes a friend who can make you laugh and whom you can vent to if you have a bad day dealing with a customer or another coworker. When there is someone whom you feel comfortable around and look forward to seeing at work to hang out with, the day will be much more enjoyable and will fly by!

This is a topic very relevant to myself. This summer I am working at a state park near my home called Thacher park. While I am blessed to get along well with all of my coworkers, and have no complaints about my boss either, there is one coworker in particular who has made working at Thacher a true adventure! We are both about the same age with a similar sense of humor. Spending the day making jokes and laughing makes the cleaning and work a lot more enjoyable. While cleaning litter along trails, we have gone on "adventures" -- shenanigans like climbing different buildings along the way.

Just because it is a job does not mean that you have to be miserable. In fact, throwing in some good-natured fun can be exactly what is needed. Part of Zach's and my job is cleaning the bathrooms around the park. Just as you might expect, this is not the most thrilling or enjoyable part of the job. Yet one day when I was coming out of the women's side, Zach jumped out from behind the wall and scared the daylights out of me! Startled, I let out a little screech before laughing. Something as simple as this, though it may seem silly and insignificant, helped to brighten my day and make the work day go by faster as well.

It is not always the "big events" in life for which we need good friends by our side. It is the small things, such as a normal day at work, for which friends are most needed. Having a good coworker, especially one who soon becomes a friend, helps make the mundane schedule of going to work every day more enjoyable. It is hopeful that whatever job you get, you will enjoy, but at the very least... a bad job is much better with a good co-worker.