The Importance Of Doing What You Want

The Importance Of Doing What You Want

Because you're the only person living your life.

128
The Importance Of Doing What You Want

Life is pretty confusing sometimes. It’s simultaneously the easiest and the most difficult thing that any of us will ever experience. I’ve only been on this earth for a couple of decades, so I have a lot left to learn, but I’m getting the hang of it.

Recently, I’ve been focusing a lot of energy on observing others and understanding why they are or aren’t happy, and I’ve become painfully aware of how miserable people let themselves become because they are constantly pushing themselves to meet someone else’s standards.

I don’t know about you, but it seems like I can’t go a single day without receiving unsolicited advice on what I should do and how I should do it, and I’m over it.

While it’s good to respect the opinions of others, it’s also important to respect yourself. The decisions you make usually result in outcomes that affect your life, so in the end your opinion matters more than anyone else’s.

Parents often have the most influence on us when we are making our most important life choices. Sure, they want what’s best for us, but they don’t necessarily know what’s best for us. As a matter of fact, some of the most significant individuals in history never would have made a name for themselves had they taken the advice of their parents.

Charles Darwin’s father was disappointed in him for hopping aboard the Beagle and thought he would never amount to anything. I guess the theory of evolution isn’t that important.

Barbra Streisand’s mother thought she would fail in the entertainment industry because she didn’t look like a typical movie star. That must be why she’s been singing and acting successfully for decades.

George Washington’s mother wanted him to stay at home and take care of her instead of going to command the army in the American Revolution. He only became the first President of the United States…no big deal.

I could go on forever with examples like these. Can you imagine how different history would be if everyone did what they were advised to do?

If you want to quit school and make music for a living, do it. If you want to change your major a semester before you’re supposed to graduate, do it. If you want to move to a new city where no one knows who you are, do it! If it ends up backfiring, at least you can say you tried – which is more than most can say for themselves.

The people who love you the most only want to see you thrive. If you take their advice, they won’t love you any more than they already do. If you do what you want, they won’t love you any less, even if you screw up.

So just do it.