Halle Bailey Is the Perfect Ariel

Halle Bailey is a singer, actress, and half of the Chloe x Halle group. It was recently announced that she has been cast as Ariel in the live-action remake of 'The Little Mermaid'. Sadly, there has been some backlash, and some don't agree with the casting choice simply because of her race. They believe that Ariel is a role that should only be played by white actresses because the story was originally written by a Danish writer. But to me, the casting is perfect.

To start off,'The Little Mermaid' has nothing to do with race. It doesn't matter what color Ariel's skin is, or even where she's from because those things wouldn't change the storyline at all. Ariel could be played by an actress of any race and the story would still make sense. There are cases where a princess' race does matter. Mulan, for example, should be played by a Chinese actress because the story does take place in China, and the story is dependant on the accuracy of her race.

Another reason I support Halle as Ariel is because she has a voice that is perfectly suited to Ariel. Seriously, it's amazing. Her voice has the same soft and bright tone as Ariel, and she is bound to bring even more absolute voice magic. If you don't believe me, just check out this song she did with her sister.

Even Jodi Benson herself, who played Ariel in the original Disney movie, blesses this casting choice. In an interview with comicbook.com, she said, "The most important thing is to tell the story. And we have, as a family, we have raised our children, and for ourselves, that we don't see anything that's different on the outside." She continues to say, "I think that the spirit of a character is what really matters. What you bring to the table in a character as far as their heart, and their spirit, is what really counts." I couldn't agree with her more. Ariel is defined by her vivacious spirit and personality, not by her looks.

In the end, it doesn't matter what I think, or you think. Halle Bailey is going to be the next Ariel, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. And to all the objectors: It's 2019! It's time to become a part of our world.