The Importance Of Galentine's Day

The Importance Of Galentine's Day

A day to celebrate all the pretty ladies in your life.

71
The Importance Of Galentine's Day

Valentine's Day is known as either one of the best days of the year or one of the worst. For the couples, love is in the air every year around February 14th. Celebrated with chocolates and flowers and fancy dinners, they post pictures to document their burning love. All is beautiful and happy in the world. At least, it is if you are happily in love.

On the other hand, Valentine's Day is known to be a single person's bane. Depicted in the movies, the day is spent crying over a tub of ice cream while bitterly scrolling through all of the annoyingly cute pictures of the happy couples. Maybe if you are lucky you will get a pity gift basket full of candy from your mom. But mainly, the day just sucks because it reminds you that everyone else has a romantic someone who loves them except for you.

But a revolution has recently occurred around this lonely holiday: Galentine's Day. Coined by Amy Poehler's character Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation, Galentine's Day is a day of "ladies celebrating ladies" the day before Valentine's.

Galentine's Day has taken over the scene, and it's fabulous. First of all, it adds a hopeful confidence to all the single ladies. Instead of hiding from Valentine's Day, women now can feel empowered to embrace their singleness and face all the lovebirds and say, "Hey, you are in love and that's great. And I am not in love, and that is also great!" And they can do this with all of their other single friends around them.

But Galentine's Day isn't just for the couple-less gals. It is meant for all women to celebrate each other, regardless of their relationship status. It's a fun excuse to get all dolled up for no one else but yourselves and just have fun with each other, honoring the beauty and company of the wonderful women around you. Forget romance for the night and just love on your ladies.

Valentine's Day has been built up to be a day for passionate lovers, which there is nothing wrong with that. But it leaves out a whole portion of the population. Galentine's Day is reminding the world that there is worth in celebrating being single because it should be something that is enjoyed while it lasts. And it is also a great day to lift up all your girlfriends and let them know you love them, single or not.