The Imitation Game

The Imitation Game

“Sometimes it is the people no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine”.
11

The moment the clock strikes , time begins to count backward: 23 hours 59 seconds…, 23 hours 58 seconds; the day has begun. The hours are limited now, leaving a finite amount of minutes to complete all of the actions wished to be done throughout the course of the day. The twenty-four hour allotment may not seem like a large value, which is why the elite group of chosen mathematicians must work quickly and accurately to decipher the enigma code before it changes once again at the start of tomorrow; but the short period also accounts for a reason as to why you should head out to see The Imitation Game before it is removed from theaters all around!

Bringing a riveting tale to the big screen, the PG-13 film is based on the true story titled Alan Turing: The Enigma written by Andrew Hodges; this book accounts for the life of Alan Turing, an individual whom had been involved in this top-secret convention and his journey in creating the first ever computer.

At the time in which the first scene is set, the year is 1939, and Germany is standing victorious in the ongoing Second World War due to the country’s brilliant strategy coding known for its infamous inability to be cracked; however, the Allied Powers refuse to surrender so easily to the machine’s glory, and continue to call in a team of several renowned mathematicians. The prodigies include Alan Turing (portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch), Hugh Alexander (Matthew Goode), John Cairncross (Allen Leech), and Peter Hulton (Matthew Beard) who work tirelessly in hopes to prevent any additional soldiers from losing their lives as a result of the mysteries of the machine. However, and much to the individuals’ dismay, the set goal proves not to be as easy to obtain as they had initially believed.

Firstly, the congress composed of these men is faced with the difficulty involving the shortness of staff. After much thought and consideration is placed into the method by which an additional member will be selected, Alan Turing distributes a crossword to be done in a time limit of six minutes. The person who rises victorious in this intellectual activity astonishes him, but nonetheless introduces yet another whom will aid in the fighting of the war.

Under the direction of Morten Tyldum, the entire production demonstrates the difficult conditions these select few must work under; each member is faced with their own obstacles of secrets, accusations, frustration, and of course, the immense puzzle that is Enigma. While being exhibited in these trying times of self-torture over the course of the hour and fifty-three minutes that the film runs, the characters never fail to engross the audience into the emotions they experience. Due to the excellent performance that is displayed, The Imitation Game has become a proud nominee for a total of five Golden Globe awards including best actor, best supporting actress, and best picture of the year.

Overall, the storyline engages the audience in the question concerning the probability of the code being solved with only one prompt to pull their doubts and assumptions along: “Sometimes it is the people no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine”.