The Haunted Mansio...Apartment?!

The Haunted Mansio...Apartment?!

My story of my own haunted apartment and friendly ghost.

48
The Haunted Mansio...Apartment?!
Famous Studios

Haunted Apartments are making waves this week! If you haven’t read the story of Buzzfeed’s comic artist, Adam Ellis! You can read the story of his ghostly adventures and even follow him on Twitter for the newest updates. His experience is downright scary. It made me so uncomfortable and I am thanking everything that is holy that I didn’t read this at night.

After reading his story I was inspired to share my own story of a haunted apartment to you my dear readers. Now, mine is not nearly as scary and could maybe alleviate your fears of Adam’s ghost. Maybe save this until after you read about Adam, because while unsettling, my roommates and I became fond of the ghost of 211.

Now, I am sure all of you have heard of how many places in Disneyland are actually haunted. This is no internet secret. After working there, I can confirm many of the stories and actually have a couple of my own stories from the parks, but instead I will focus on this particular ghost I interacted with a lot. The happy haunts of the Haunted Mansion must have followed one of us home because my apartment at the Disney College Program was most definitely haunted.

It all started a couple weeks into the program. One of my roommates was home by herself and watching T.V. All of a sudden the door to our laundry casually opened by itself. She paused the TV and just stared at it. When I arrived back home she told us “So, I think the apartment is haunted. It lives in the laundry room.” For a while, stuff would happen in just the laundry room, doors opening, things randomly falling over, just the usual paranormal stuff.

Then I released him.

Now, don’t judge, this was all supposed to be a joke! And I didn’t think he would get let out, but he did. Our washing machine was off balance and made a TON of noise. It sounded like some kind of factory in the apartment. Well, I had a friend over one night and we had a little too much sugar.

I was doing laundry and the washing machine was creating a war zone. I jokingly said, “We need a priest.” The night ended with me exorcising the washing machine using my Confirmation cross, reading an Exorcism off the internet, and playing “Carry on My Wayward Son.” Stupid? Maybe.. but my snapchat story was lit.

Then things started happening in the rest of the apartment. Things were being misplaced; pictures and decorations randomly fell off walls. For two of us, we were a little more comfortable with our ghost, he liked to let us know he was there. Sure it was scary, but we had learned he wasn’t going to hurt us.

But for the other roommate, he tortured her. Maybe she brought some vibes, maybe he realized she was most scared of him and he got the biggest reaction, we may never know why he targeted her, but the most stuff happened when she was home and she was terrified.

There was one night in particular, she was home alone and when I came home she was nearly in tears. Apparently our ghost had knocked down our shower curtain, making a large crash and terrifying her. We sat in the apartment for a while and all of a sudden I started hearing a knocking my closet. I went out to see if it had been my roommate, but she had been sitting in the living room with her headphones in doing homework. I heard it again. It sounded like it came from the bathroom this time. I walked inside and stepped over the fallen curtain and pressed my ear to the wall, nothing. But it was definitely coming from the bathroom. Apparently this was the room of choice for the ghost tonight. I told my roommate and the two of us sat in fear for the rest of the night, every now and then hearing the knocking.

My parents came the next day for a visit and helped put the shower curtain back up. I was just happy to get away for a couple of days and let the ghost wreak his havoc by himself for a bit.

A couple of days later, the paranormal had been fairly quiet and we had some friends from down the hall over to visit. We were telling them all about our ghostly adventures. “He lives in the laundry room.” The roommate who first experienced him said. Suddenly our washing machine chimed in response. Mind you, we hadn’t done any laundry at all that day. We all looked at the washing machine. The tortured roommate got up, delivering a few “nope”s. We all kinda laughed it off, but that was the moment we knew for sure that we had a ghost.

Shortly after, the roommate he always messed with started dating someone. She spent most days and nights at his place, so the ghost stopped doing stuff as frequently. Every now and then he’d drop a picture off a wall to let us know he was around. It calmed down a lot around the apartment.

One night, I was home by myself and was going to bed. I started getting very weird feelings. I had trouble sleeping and just tried to pray to get myself to sleep. Eventually I fell asleep, but woke up in the middle of the night. I looked towards the door and saw a shadow of a man standing in my bedroom doorway. I grabbed my phone, but he was gone when I shined my light on the doorway. I yelled at him to “go away.” The room immediately felt lighter, but I still had trouble going back to sleep after that. But the next day I started to feel less scared of him. He never really wanted to hurt us. He just wanted to let us know he was there and have some fun with us.

The next few months were relatively calm and we didn’t hear much from our ghost. Then one day, with about a month and a half left of the program, our kitchen lights started flickering randomly. My roommate had some friends come over and we were telling them about our ghosts. One of the friends asked if we had named him. We just laughed and said no. So she spoke up, “Can we call you ‘Darwin?’” The lights flickered in response, leaving us all floored. We asked him a couple more questions. And from then forward, we called our ghost Darwin.

Darwin, the friendly ghost, apparently just wanted some friends. Every now and then the lights would flicker and I would greet him with a, “Hi Darwin!” Sometimes it would remain silent, other times a picture would fall down, or something would thump. My roommate warned me that know he would be harder to get rid of because we had now communicated with him. But part of me was growing sad to have to leave him behind. My mom told me I had to tell him to stay because my mom didn’t want him following me home.

On the last day, the three of us were there to check out of the apartment. I said “Goodbye, Darwin. You have to stay here.” The roommate that he always tormented said, “Thanks, Darwin, for terrorizing us!” Our inspectors asked who Darwin was, and we told them all about Darwin and his antics. They took one last picture of us together and joked that you could see him behind us in the picture.

(Side note) I never noticed the orb in the picture above. I understand it could be from the light on in the picture, but this particular orb of light does not appear in the other photos we took together here. This thoroughly freaked me out!

We left and I said one last goodbye. Even though we always joked that he needed to pay rent, we all grew fond of Darwin in way or another. I made sure to tell whoever got 211 in the next group that they needed to take care of him and be his friend and let him know that we all still loved him.