The Greatest Sporting Event: The US Open

A look at the US Open, an annual tennis tournament in New York.

125
ABC News Australia

Every September for two weeks, the greatest tennis players in the world gather at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, located in Flushing, New York to compete for the US Open title. Fans from around the world flock into the city (making the US Open have the largest attendance for an annual sporting event), in hopes of seeing some of the best tennis in one of the best cities. You may be wondering why the US Open is so appealing that fans from all over the world would come to watch. Find out!

First off, the US Open is the most fan-friendly of any sporting event. If you have an American Express Card (as many people do,) you get a great discount on tickets as well as a free radio headset/lanyard for the tournament. The headset allows you to listen to a live radio broadcast of all the courts, so you can follow different matches going on around the venue. But the friendliness extends beyond gimmicks. While at the tournament you may find yourself walking down the main avenue, as I did. And you may turn to your right and see that you’re walking next to former world number two Svetlana Kuznetsova, as I did. The US Open is great when it comes to player-fan interactions, players are always willing to sign autographs, take photos and even talk for a few minutes. While there you might even be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of some of the elite ESPN commentary staff, including Brad Gilbert, John McEnroe, and Mary Joe Fernandez.

But there’s even more to the US Open than just interaction. It’s known for its reasonably priced tickets. The grounds pass, which will get you priority admission to all the court's, except Arthur Ashe Stadium (named after famous tennis player Arthur Ashe) at the tournament sells for as little as $70. And the best players aren’t just stacked at Arthur Ashe. Guys such as current world number two Andy Murray are found just feet away from the stands at Louis Armstrong Stadium, Grandstand, and the famous Court 17. This value is amazing, giving you more action than any other tournament for such a low price.

Three things are important in real estate. Location, location, and location. The US Open shows people exactly why that is true. Located in Flushing, New York, it is a mere 20 minutes from iconic New York attractions such as the Empire State Building and the new rebuilt World Trade Center. This gives people a chance to visit the prime areas before the matches start, or after they end. If fans even feel like going during the day, the generous re-entry policy allows them to do that.

Of all the sporting events that take place around the world, 365 days a year, the US Open is the best. It provides the best atmosphere for fans and players, and provides a great location for people to see one of the greatest cities in the nation. This is the US Open.