The Great New York State Fair

The Great New York State Fair

It's only around for 12 days, so give your last hoorah to the summer!
12

The Great New York State Fair is probably one of my favorite places to go during the summer. It's nearly two weeks of fried food, people watching, and awesome, free concerts. There is just so much going on that you never want to leave (or at least that's how I feel). Sure there are people out there who absolutely cannot stand the fair because it never changes, it smells, it's dirty or a myriad of other reasons. But that's okay because then there is more room for people who do like going!

The best part about the fair, in my opinion, is that every day there are new things to watch and fun things to see. As always, there is the sand and butter sculptures, the police shows, the dog agility course, and the chainsaw woodcarving station. There are always shows going on, animals to see, different areas of the fair to wander around, and my favorite thing about the event: all of the free concerts that are at Chevy Court. You can go onto the Fair's website and see the lineup for this summer; it's definitely a good one.

And for all of those out there who say that the Fair never changes, well I've got some news for you! It actually changed quite a bit this year! Things are in all new places. It's no longer as congested as it usually is in high traffic areas because the midway has been moved in order to accommodate more rides. There's more space so people aren't as cramped as they used to be a few years ago, which makes everything a bit easier to manage. Since people usually complain about how crowded the Fair is, it's good that everyone attending will be able to move around more comfortably.

The Fair is one of Syracuse, New York's greatest traditions. It's been running for a long time, first opening in 1841 and becoming a permanent tradition starting in 1890. And if it's been running that long, then they have to be doing something right.

On a day where you're sitting around with nothing to do, you should go and give it a shot! It's a great time and you'll have fun just walking around and enjoying the ambiance. There are always things to see and do, and it's 12 days long so you have plenty of time to make the trip to Syracuse to see what you're missing!

Check out their website for the list of events and to get a sense of what day would work best for you. You will make memories that will last forever, whether it's you defying your body and eating the Defibrillator (a deep friend turkey sandwich with two grilled cheese sandwiches as the buns), or if you're able to see some newborn baby pigs running around. With the summer coming to an end soon, you should go have the time of your life!