The Goal Isn't To Be Busy

The Goal Isn't To Be Busy

The goal is to be purposeful.

76
Personal Image
Emilee Day

I could probably guess it for you; your alarm clock goes off, you run down the list of things that you feel you have to accomplish today, and you hop out of bed holding onto those things, telling yourself that it's going to be a great day.

As the day goes on, you feel every bit of motivation that you had at the beginning of that morning begin to slowly drip away, as each activity goes by.

See, this is the exact moment when I realized that being busy isn't the equivalent of being purposeful.

You can go through the motions each day, checking each goal of the day off of your list, but still feel so empty inside.

I know this because I was there last year, every day.

To me, for the longest time, I thought that if I was constantly keeping busy and shoving in events or other little things in my day, that meant that I was doing something right.

If I didn't have a speck of time for myself at the end of the day, that meant I was doing something right.

It was not until I hit rock bottom that I came to this realization.

Being busy does not equal fulfillment or purpose. While this might be the case at times, it does not always reign true.

With the pressure to always feel like we have to be doing something, it's no wonder we as a society go to bed later, wake up earlier, and sacrifice our mental health in order to prove something to other people, or maybe even ourselves.

It was not until I came to college that I really felt this pressure. It got to a point that I couldn't sit down without feeling guilty about not being up and about doing something.

I filled my days most of the time with things that didn't give me purpose and didn't fill my cup.

It was not until I began to actually do things for myself, and not just do things for the heck of it, that I realized that was where my real purpose was.

Make time for yourself, don't try to do everything at once.

Make goals, yes, but don't get so caught up in them that you begin to lose yourself.