To The Girl Who Feels The Need To Be "Perfect"

Perfection is unattainable, find the beauty in the imperfect moments life throws your way.

145

According to the Cambridge English Dictionary, perfection is a noun described as "the state of being complete or correct in every way".

Oxford Dictionary defines perfection as "the condition, state, or quality of being free or as free as possible from all flaws or defects" or "the action or process of improving something until it is faultless".

So, my question to you, is this really achievable?

I've lived the majority of my life as a perfectionist. Type A personality, OCD, you name it… that's me. I'm a planner. I like things planned out, organized, categorized, highlighted, and most likely the way I've already pictured it happening in my head. The girl, who's probably my long-lost twin reading this, let me be the one to burst your bubble right now. This mindset alone is causing you stress, frustration, doubt, fear, insecurities, as well as a multitude of other issues. You are making yourself your own worst enemy and toughest critic. Loosen the reigns a little bit. Things are not always going to go your way, and certainly not when you want them to. This is a reality one has to come to terms with in life. You must be prepared for whatever is thrown your way. I've always had my entire life planned out, ideas and dreams in my head, waiting for them to unfold, waiting to take charge. Until life taught me "what can go wrong will go wrong" and things do not happen how you want or expect them to happen. College, in a nutshell, has felt like I'm metaphorically stuck in Auntie Em's farmhouse, going through a tornado, not knowing which way is up and which is down, waiting for the storm to pass.

Through the storm, I was forced to search, grow, and rediscover myself. I was tested, delivered an absolute train wreck of a situation when all I wanted was the cookie-cutter experience. I guess there was a different plan for me, and I had a lot more to learn than I thought. I had more growing up to do than I ever imagined. The girl, who was always more mature and wiser than her peers, learned she was just as naive in some ways as the rest. However, that same girl came out a stronger and more resilient woman on the other side once the storm passed.

Although the past three years have been extremely hard, I wouldn't take back a minute of it. I've grown and learned so many lessons. One of which being, that I do not have to be put together all the time. I don't have to be okay, or smiling, or bubbly, or "perfect" all the time. My life is allowed to be falling apart sometimes. Life happens, who are you fooling? Can I be positive and choose to focus on other things, like the great opportunities and supportive people in my life? Absolutely! How else does one stay sane? Life has its ups and downs. It can't stay peachy all the time, that would be unrealistic. Nobody's life is perfect, everyone has things going on whether they want to admit it to themselves or not. So, before you do anything else today, give yourself a break. Also, before you judge someone else, please remember that you have no idea what they go through behind closed doors, or on a daily basis.

Think before you act and make false judgments about someone. This life isn't easy, make sure that you're happy and healthy above all else. Make your life and other's lives around you a little easier when you can.

Moving forward, this is all I ask of you:

1. Stop trying to be perfect. It doesn't exist. Humans are imperfect creatures, which in itself is beautiful. Perfect and normal are boring, stop trying to achieve them.

2. Practice self-love! If you can't show yourself love, how are you capable of giving love to someone else?

3. Cut yourself some slack. Life is going to really test you sometimes and you have to be able to laugh through it. Learn to laugh, or else you will cry. That is a promise. Trust me, from experience :)

4. After the hard stuff, treat yourself! Pour yourself that glass of wine and go take a bubble bath! You deserve it.

5. Be YOURSELF. Take time to get to know yourself and learn to love who you are, even the parts that aren't your favorite. You are extraordinary. Someone doesn't like that, well f*** them! You are awesome and someone is going to absolutely love you. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.

Always,

Rach