Why I Love Being The Girl Who's Different

"If you're lucky enough to be different, don't ever change." - Taylor Swift

750

Taylor Swift once said, "If you're lucky enough to be different, don't ever change." This was (and still is) so important to me that it became my senior yearbook quote.

Being the girl that's different can be defined in many ways. The way I see it, I'm a very unique person who is very unlike all the girls around me. I'm used to doing my own thing and not necessarily always following what the crowd does. I'm shy around strangers but completely outgoing and crazy around my friends. I'm not the girl who always has a boyfriend, many times I'd rather hang out and be goofy with my closest friends than be up all night partying with strangers, and by no means do I have it "all figured out." There are so many times when I feel like I'm never good enough, never as smart or pretty or funny as the next girl, but in the end, I feel lucky to be me.

I can't always relate to other girl's relationship issues or their deep love with makeup and cosmetics. But for me, friendship is all about being goofy and fun and there for one another. I always hated petty drama, and I've always been the girl that likes everybody for who they are. Though sometimes that has led people to walk all over me, at the end of the day, I am proud of the kind person that I've grown up to be.

I'm a weirdo, and all of my friends know it. I'm always the first person to break out into dance when my favorite songs come on, and I'm always goofing around and rarely take things seriously. I have so much more fun fooling around in life than being serious and trying to impress people. I try not to care what others think of me, and focus on having fun and making people laugh instead.

I am also such a unique individual. I have unique interests and hobbies and a unique way of doing things. I'm always sort of doing my own thing and being creative. I make fun of myself all the time and I'm not scared to do so. I think that embracing your inner self is one of the most important parts of life. Learning to be your true self day-to-day instead of putting on a mask and trying to impress people is one of the most satisfying things you may do in life. I may not attract as many people while being myself, but I will always attract the right ones.

In the end, being yourself is so important. To the girl who is reading this, I challenge you to go about your days being the different and unique girl you are, however, that may be. Try and bring out the best version of yourself. Everyone's different, and so are you, so please embrace it. Trust me, you will not regret it.