The Forgotten ONE

The Forgotten ONE

We Know A Lot About Type Two Diabetes, But What About Type One?

11
The Forgotten ONE
washingtondc

We’ve all heard of type two diabetes before, and some of us might even know someone who has this diagnosis. Type two diabetes has grown dramatically in the past few years and affects millions of Americans today. What we tend to forget though is that there are millions of people also struggling with type one diabetes. A lot of people don’t know what type one diabetes is and people assume that these two diagnoses are pretty much the same- they’re not.

Type one diabetics usually develop this diagnosis at a very young age, which is also why type one diabetes is more commonly known as juvenile diabetes. Type two diabetes affects adults and could possibly go away, but those who have juvenile diabetes have it forever. The only small similarity type one and type two diabetics have is a problem with insulin, which regulates blood sugar. Those with type one diabetes have a deficiency of insulin, while those with type two diabetes don’t use insulin in the right way.

I’ve been a type one diabetic since I was about two years old. I’ve had to rely on insulin injections, pricking my finger every day, and going to numerous doctors. Many people think that people who develop Type 1 diabetes is due to over eating, too much sugar, or no exercise. Like it’s that person's fault for having the disease. So let me ask you a question, since I’ve had diabetes since I was two, and since type one diabetes affects mainly children, how is it a child’s fault for being born as a diabetic? The truth is that type one diabetes is pretty serious and often arises for no reason. The body attacks the pancreas which produces insulin. People must be informed before assuming things.

https://www.pinterest.com/xxseggyxx/living-with-ty... Pinterest.com

There is an international movement going on to change the name of type one diabetes to reduce the stigma and confusion that comes along with it. Many of those with type one diabetes almost feel obligated to explain what they have, unlike those with type two diabetes. The onset of type one diabetes usually include increased thirst, weight loss, weakness, blurred vision, frequent urination, and quite a few more. When the blood sugar is not controlled well, the nerves in the body can affect the legs, feet, and hands. The main organs diabetes effects are the kidneys, which could lead to kidney failure and dialysis.

During the months of September and October the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation has numerous walks in many locations that raise support and awareness of type one diabetes. The goal is to remove this disease from people’s lives and to find a cure. Many people who attend a walk have type one diabetes themselves, and bring out their family and friends to join. You don’t even need to know someone with this disease to join the walk. You should walk because you want a world where this disease no longer exists.

To sign up to walk in your area or for more information, you can go to: https://www2.jdrf.org/site/SPageServer/;jsessionid=00000000.app334b?NONCE_TOKEN=CB44FB9A46699104A8186F372EC021D0&pagename=walk_homepage.