The Flu Shot Is My Worst Enemy

The Flu Shot Is My Worst Enemy

Cue the sneezing and coughing, bring on the five thousand boxes of tissues.
34

Every year I'm told that getting a flu shot will lessen the chances of me getting the flu, and if by the rare chance that I do still get the flu, it won't be as severe as it would have been if I didn't get the shot at all. I have now, and always will think this is a pile of *insert poop emoji*. I understand that everyone's body is different and has different reactions to things.

However, I also believe that no one knows their own bodies better than themselves. For years, I’ve been telling my doctors, as well as my parents that I feel that the flu shot makes me sick, and doesn’t actually prevent it from happening in the first place.

You see, my body isn’t “normal” in the way that it can’t get a simple cold, and have me drink some chicken soup (ew) and then I get magically better. No, that’s not the case at all. When I get sick, I’m sick for a week, or weeks at a time. A simple cold that “normal” normal people would heal in 24 hours, would take me a lot longer and with a lot more medication.

So no, I’m not a fan of putting bacteria in my body just to speed up the process of me getting sick. But every year, I am forced to get the flu shot, and every year I get sick soon after I receive it.

So here's to you flu shot, thanks for being one of the main reasons I get sick.