The Five Necessary Excuses When Canceling Plans

3

Summertime is here, and as the summertime dawn breaks, the possibilities seem endless. Now without the toils of homework, exams, or the unfortunate chance of running into your latest hook-up on campus, you can finally take life by the horns and ride valiantly into the sinfully hot Louisiana sunset with a Shiner in your hand.

But wait, your friends beg you to go out as if you haven’t made your liver suffer enough this year. You contemplate it, and you are well aware that it’s a feasible plan. The only problem is that the alternative seems all the more appealing. Two seasons of House of Cards is on the line, and you can fully enjoy it – without spending any money or wearing pants.

We’ve all been there. The idea of going out can be a nice
way to unwind, but the better and more economical option to unwind is just taking a nice nap with F.R.I.E.N.D.S. still on my TV. Now that we’re all back home, the tendency to stay home is even more tremendous. Although I may be able to sympathize, you are always bound to face the wrath of your friends as a reaction to your sudden cancelation.

They will probably tease you about how lame you are and all that jazz, and I’m here to tell you it’s A-okay. Although, I’m sure you didn’t need my confirmation to know it is. But as a quick defense, here are some surefire excuses that never seem to fail:

1.)  “I can’t afford to go out.”

Let’s be real – you probably do have enough money to afford yourself cover and maybe a super cheap drink (like water.) But in all reality, you’d rather play the “Broke College Kid” card because it’s much easier than putting on an ounce of makeup.

2.)  “I really need to spend more time with my family.”

Always better to come off as a Family Man of sorts, but the realistic depiction of what spending time with your family looks like is probably each member of your family holing up in his or her room on their individualized electronic device.

3.) “I’ve already worn all my cute outfits in Tigerland.”

This is probably one of your last resort excuses if your friends are that relentless in forcing you to get out of your bed. But in the middle-school soap opera of your life, no one really likes an outfit repeater.

4.) “I’ve got something to do really early tomorrow morning.”

You’ve dealt with your fair share of hangovers during your 7:30 classes in stride, but your friends don’t need to know that.

5.) “Something came up.”

The only thing that’s gone up are your chances of leaving your house. Point blank.

Have no shame in canceling. It’s one of the very few things left in a young person’s life that’s controllable. Although you might momentarily suffer a mild case of F.M.O. (otherwise known as Fear of Missing Out), there’s actually nothing you haven’t been exposed to before. The bar and the alcohol will still be there at the end of the day, but Kevin Spacey and his corrupt legislation in House of Cards waits for no one.