The Five Most Essential Outdoor Skills

The Five Most Essential Outdoor Skills

Many people, including a growing number of survivalists, are becoming increasingly concerned by the state of our planet.

16

Sociopolitical unrest, the threat of disease, environmental degradation and terrorism are all threats that are causing people to think carefully about how they - and their families would cope in the event of catastrophic infrastructure failure - or civil unrest.

For many, mastering five essential outdoor skills is the starting point of preparedness.

If you are worried about thriving in a world that may require that you and your family leave modern comforts behind here are some of the skills that you will need to know.

1. Locating a water Source and Purification.

The human body starts to become stressed within 24 hours of not having access to potable water. Within three days the problem will become acute.

One of the easiest ways to ensure a supply of clean water is to purchase a water filter. If you are without the technology there are always the old standby of boiling water or even adding a small quantity of bleach to drinking water. If no running or standing water is available then a rain catcher is one potential solution.

2. Fire.

Building a fire, even without the usual standby is another essential skill. Purchasing a flint and steel is a good backup plan. The sets are extremely good value for money. However, learning to use the 'bow and drill' method of starting a fire or using a lens are also great methods to know. fire provides warmth and an ideal way to prepare food and can keep animals at bay - as well as providing light. Get that fire started ASAP.

3. Shelter.

Dealing with the elements is important. A good shelter goes a long way towards staying dry and warm. Learning how to make a basic lean-to and using branches and foliage to make a simple shelter and provide bedding is usually an extremely good idea.

4. Food Sources.

If you have a good idea of the area you are going to be spending time out of doors then familiarize yourself with the edible berries and plants in the area. Learning the basics of trapping for animal protein and fishing skills are also essential.

There are some excellent manuals on these skills - as well as online sources of information. Print out what you need, laminate the information and keep it on you at all times. Remember - protein is extremely important. Try not to rely on a single source of nutrition.

5. Have the Right Tool.

One of the most useful items someone in the wilderness can have is a high-quality knife - or a multi-tool. Learn to use both. And also learn how to maintain your tools - that includes how to keep blades sharpened.

There are a number of other skills such as learning the basics of first aid and navigation that are invaluable to those who want to thrive outdoors. Do your research and familiarize yourself with these skills and your chances of survival increase dramatically.