For 13 years we have been forced to go to school. Throughout those years we have had people teach us multiple things. We have learned how to read, write and spell. We have learned how to add and subtract numbers and we have even learned what happens when certain chemicals mix together. Many people over the course of our lives have taught us what we need to be able to succeed after high school. However, what they failed to teach us is how to cope with leaving everything we have ever known behind.

Over the past 18 years the phrase, “ I can’t wait to get out of this town” has slipped through our lips thousands of times. But no one told us about the terror and heartbreak you feel when you are a week away from moving and leaving your safe, comfortable childhood home. No one warned us that the bonds we should have created with people years ago form a month before we leave. You and your friends pretend that you have an eternity together. You make comments like, “I don't want to talk about it” and “shh it’s okay” in hopes that it really will all be okay. Even when you are enjoying the time you have together there is still the voice in your head telling you how many days you have left with your best friends.

People always say that college is the first day of the rest of your life, but what they mean is that nothing is ever going to be the same. During high school you counted down the days until you could walk through those doors and never have to come back. However, as you are counting down the days until you get in that car with all of your belongings, you wish you had just one more day in that small town’s school. At the beginning of summer the 86 days you had left in your home town felt like a lifetime. There was so much to get done and forever to do it. Then, suddenly, 86 days turned into 40 which turned into 20. One second you had 3 months and in the blink of an eye you have only a week left. One week to get everything you need, pack it all up into many suitcases, and say good-bye to your friends, family and town.

After all this time in the same town you start to notice things you did not even bother to look at before. Things like the ocean looks more blue than usual and there is a breakfast cafe on the corner that you pass everyday. But most importantly you begin to realize that where you live is not as boring as you thought, as long as you are spending the time you have with the right people. Our teachers never taught us how to cherish the relationships we build over 18 years but getting ready to move to college sure does.