The Fight Of Our Lives

The Fight Of Our Lives

We are the change we wish to see in the world.

47
The Fight Of Our Lives
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/03/31/636581248896766801716767699_March_on_Washington_for_Gun_Control_050.jpg

This past weekend, the first March For Our Lives was held in major cities across the country. Like the Women's March that took place in January, hundreds of thousands of people poured into the streets, everyone coming together with a similar agenda- to end gun violence and seek out major gun reform change.

I firmly believe that we are the generation that will change the country's view on gun control.

I believe in the common man's right to own a gun; in an ideal world, there would never be a need for guns, and while I wish that nobody ever felt the need to own a gun, I can understand and respect a person's urge to have one in their house. They are worried about their families, about their young sons and daughters and making sure they live through the night. They want to be there to protect them in the event of the unthinkable.

But what about school? What do we do when there is a person who walks into school with the intent to harm those same children that are supposed to be protected at home?

I have three younger siblings that I would do absolutely anything for; I should not think about them going to school with fear in my heart that I won't ever see them again.

We go to school to learn. We go to school to see our friends. We go to school to broaden our horizons and change how we view the world. We should not go to school with the fear that we will become one of the many names that are lost to gun violence.

Those who cry out for gun control reform are immediately shut down by second amendment champions who claim that "those damn liberals" want nothing more than to take their guns from them.

But this is not the case- we want to enact simple, common-sense, gun control laws that will prevent those who will abuse their right to own a gun.

People that are deemed dangerous or unsteady should not be able to have access to a life-threatening weapon.

Politicians nowadays are so easily bought by the NRA that they are unwilling to enact any type of gun control laws. In 2015, a law titled the "Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act" was proposed to ban people on the no-fly list from obtaining a gun; this law was shot down because of Congress' concern for their political popularity with pro-gun voters.

We cannot allow the people that dictate the laws of our country to put the lives of our children in danger any longer.

We cannot allow politicians to be bought out by companies that are apathetic to the sufferings of gun victims.

We cannot allow just anyone to walk into a convenience store and walk out with an automatic weapon.

We must be the generation that will end gun violence- if we are willing to speak up and walk out.

I believe in our generation's ability to make the change we need.