The Fear Of Human Opinion

The Fear Of Human Opinion

The struggle of falling guilty to comparison.

116
The Fear Of Human Opinion

It's often easy to compare oneself with another. Not only is it easy to do ourselves, but in today's time we have the help of social media. We are able to instantly form opinions about others just as quickly as we are to play the comparison game.

The number one outlet for setting myself up for comparison is Instagram. I had let myself get to the point of having this unique way of keeping up with friends turn into an envious view of how I determined my value.

I constantly put myself through letting social media have a say in how pretty I was, if my body figure was the size it was suppose to be, or even if I would ever amount to the temporary things others had that I desperately desired.

I craved for things people had, driving myself to a point where anxiety entered the picture and my self worth came into question.

The most uneasy, fearful thoughts raced in my mind anytime I begin to ponder on how other people saw me. Ideas would form in my head on how I could change everyone's perspectives of me causing a snowball effect that would go on and on until one small thought became a serve problem.

Young women look at it as a necessity to fit in while simultaneously having others obsess over what they look like, what they are wearing, who they are with, what they have, etc. Most people have a lot more going on that what a picture or video may show. Just as you hide the thoughts and feelings behind a picture, they do the same.

A friend once gave me the advice to attack the fear of comparison head on when I see it. Anytime I see someone that urges me to become envious, I compliment them on the very thing that I'm tempted to question in my mind. This goes for social media, seeing someone in public, or whatever scenario that calls for me to confront the fear head on.

It's frustrating to know you fall guilty to comparison. The frustration was put on God as to how I began to look at myself solely based on how I felt others looked at me. It wasn't long until the Lord spoke truth telling me " If I thought I wasn't good enough, then I must think God is terrible at His job." He was certainly right, for I alone am not enough; Because of His graceful love though, I am.

Turning something that can be used for good into something spiritually unhealthy is what the flesh does best. We consume ourselves with making it a priority that we have to be like everyone else and if we don't have that, we are suddenly in our minds, not blessed although we wouldn't dare say it out loud.

Seeing yourself through God's eyes is a hard, but helpful thing to do. It's hard because confidence in your relationship with Christ is needed. It's helpful because you are able to see yourself the way your Creator sees you, diminishing any petty desire you want from someone else.

“What’s the price of a pet canary? Some loose change, right? And God cares what happens to it even more than you do. He pays even greater attention to you, down to the last detail—even numbering the hairs on your head! So don’t be intimidated by all this bully talk. You’re worth more than a million canaries." — Matthew 10-29-31 MSG