The fascinating Souks: shopping in Marrakech

Marrakech is a shopping paradise and, especially, the Souks (Suq in Arabic) that are located inside the Medina are the main attraction of this activity.

6

Marrakech is a shopping paradise and, especially, the Souks (Suq in Arabic) that are located inside the Medina are the main attraction of this activity. Despite the fact that Marrakech has a very extensive range of products, you cannot buy it everywhere; To know where to spend your hard-earned money, you have to learn to buy. Next, I share with you the best of Moroccan artisan production and a small shopping guide. Book a tour with Morocco desert trips, the most popular is the 3 days desert tour from Marrakech to Fes.

The third source of income in Morocco is tourism and this is reflected in the narrow and colorful labyrinths that form the thousands of shops that adorn the streets where the Souks extend, from the Medina to the Mellah (Jewish quarter) , and They are specially designed to attract foreign buyers. In Marrakech there are millions of things to see, however, the most outstanding, original and showy are:

1.Moroccan textiles . Silk, linen, cashmere, cotton and wool are the raw materials of the most beautiful caftans and djellaba (traditional Moroccan clothing), scarves, scarves, blouses, blouses, pants, tablecloths, napkins, Hammam towels, rugs, rugs, bags, bracelets, dresses and a very long list of fabrics for all types of use. It would be impossible to describe the beauty and intense color of those corridors, well embedded in the Souks, where the workshops are hidden in which, still today, the fabrics that will be spun and dyed by hand, with affection, calm and ancient techniques, are hidden. used to manufacture the most spectacular garments. On our way through Marrakech we visited both traditional shops and fine galleries and in both we found family businesses whose heritage is the heritage of hundreds of years of knowledge and practice making true works of art that blend into the skin of the person who wears them. In particular ,Karim Bouriad . The caftans and djellaba that one can try on there are a dream, which makes a visit to this textile gallery a must, especially because nobles, kings, actors and athletes of international fame have passed through its rooms, whose photographs are displayed with pride in the collection area of the establishment.

2.Tea Sets . In Marrakech, tea culture is an art. In many Riads there are special areas for having tea; spacious rooms, beautifully decorated, that invite you to lie down for hours while enjoying the eternal blue of the Moroccan sky. In all the restaurants, tea is the welcome and the farewell of the diners and in the streets, at all hours, people share a moment of relaxation accompanied by a teapot and a couple of crystal glasses. The purchase of a tea set is therefore a must buy and a perfect souvenir of the most unforgettable sunsets in the Maghreb region. Real beauties in glass, ceramic or metal can be found in the Nour pâtisseries fines confectionery .

3.Moroccan Haute Couture . One of the most pleasant surprises of Marrakech is the exquisite mix between western taste and ancient Arab tradition that results in garments never seen before. A perfect example is the Max & Jan concept store , also located in the Zocos, but which offers a concept of cultural fusions that are intertwined in each garment and accessories. In addition, the place has a splendid terrace where you can sit down to drink or eat something or simply to take a break after several hours of shopping.

4.Spices . All over Marrakech there are herbalists of all sizes and colors. Never in my life have I seen so many stunning shades as I found in the entrances of traditional Moroccan herbalists. Not only the color attracts the buyer, the aromas that these premises give off are like a magnet powerful that forces us to enter. Once inside, the scents mix divinely as if it were a celebration of essences and fragrances. It is very likely that the owners or managers invite buyers to try, taste, feel and let themselves be enveloped by the aromas of the hundreds of spices and products that are exhibited inside these stores. It is to be expected to spend at least half an hour getting to know condiments that we vaguely hear named once. The compulsory purchase corresponds to Ras El Hanout, which is a mixture of herbs and spices typical of the Maghreb region and which constitutes a true embrace of the sense of smell and taste.

5.Cosmetics . The pride of Marrakech is argan oil. The argan tree is endemic to Morocco and with it hundreds of products are made, some edible, although mainly for the cosmetics industry. Its use and manufacture are so fundamental in Moroccan culture that in 2014 the use of this tree and its fruits were recognized as intangible cultural heritage ofThe humanity. That's how strong argan oil is in Morocco and of course it's another must-buy. You have to be very careful and know very well where to buy it because it is very often mixed with olive oil. Argan oil is very expensive and that is why the purity of its origin must be checked before making a purchase. Pure argan oil has a strong nutty smell, is quickly absorbed and is light and soft to the touch, and its color is infallible as it should be slightly golden and translucent. If it has been extracted by hand, you will find dusty seats at the bottom of the bottles. I found the best products derived from argan in the Les Sens de Marrakech store at unbeatable prices.

6.Slippers (Moroccan footwear) . For shoe fanatics, the shopping bag can not miss two or three pairs of slippers, either in the version of slippers or in dress shoes. Leather goods and leather goods are highly prestigious artisan industries in Morocco and it is not surprising that they produce great and also very comfortable designs that will be perfect companions for our feet anywhere. The best slippers I found in the traditional La Maison Arabe that has a super exclusive boutique full of hundreds of Moroccan wonders.

Little shopping guide

The first visit to the Souks must be done with a guide who explains and details the details, unknown to foreigners, of shopping in Marrakech.

Haggling is not compulsory and the seller is not offended if he does not haggle, even if he has the opposite impression. However, it is very common for the seller to expect a haggling and therefore, as a buyer, you have to be well prepared to negotiate. The reality is that the buyer will always be at a disadvantage because he speculates the value, but does not know the cost of the product, so it is best to be guided by the attitude of the seller; If he is willing to negotiate, then a discount of 50% of the value of the item should be sought, but if the seller is not willing to negotiate, he can try to negotiate a volume discount, but considering that the given price is fair. Morocco has undergone a gradual modernization in the last twenty years so today there are already many establishments where prices are fixed and products are labeled. Many of the locals don't like to haggle anymore and prefer to go shopping in places where the prices are clear and fair, I honestly understand, it is very exhausting to haggle all the time.

On the first day of visiting the Zocos, just observe, analyze, compare, rate and ask questions, but DO NOT buy ANYTHING. Start shopping shyly the second time you visit the Souk and on the third round unleash the Dirhams that you carry in your wallet.

Not everything that glitters is gold, nor everything that feels soft is cotton, silk or linen, check the fabrics, the seams, and make sure that the garment does not shine, if it does, the fabric surely contains polyester or nylon.

The exchange rate in April 2019 is 10.84 Moroccan dirham per ONE euro.

If any vendor behaves aggressive, leave the premises immediately and report it to the authorities. There is a police station at the entrance to the Plaza de Jamaa el Fna located in the heart of the Medina, from where various entrances to the Souks open up.

Don't be afraid of getting lost in the Souks, that's what it's all about, letting yourself go as you walk, watch and shop no matter where you are going. So that you do not panic and find out if you know how to get out of the Zocos, take a map, hire a GPS service, which does not require WiFi, for your mobile phone or simply ask anyone who passes by your side. Moroccans are extremely friendly and are capable of even accompanying you to the exit or even finding you a taxi or any other means of transport.

Bring a spacious backpack or a large and resistant bag, preferably with a zip, where you can put all your purchases. When you least expect it, your arms and hands will be full of small bags that will prevent you from moving or that will force you to return to the hotel to free yourself from the packages.

Did you want to go shopping in Marrakech? Cheer up! The best time to visit this extraordinary city is spring, between the months of March to May.