Finding a soulmate is one of those things that everyone wants, right? And, it seems that the more we try to find ours, the more often we’re disappointed. Like so many other things, technology has helped to make our lives a little bit easier here.

There are a few major dating apps out on the market right now. Tinder and Bumble are perhaps the leaders amongst all of those apps. There are millions of people on each service, and even though the apps are similar in purpose, there are a few differences. Before we go into those differences we need to figure out whether using a dating app is right for you.

Is a Dating App Right for Me?

What do dating apps do? Well, they help you create contacts with other people who also are interested in finding a partner. They allow you to do this privately without having to go out to different clubs, social events, or other places. It also allows you to filter through people so that you are more likely to find exactly who you are looking for.

People on dating apps have different reasons for using the app. Some are just looking for a casual hookup. Others are looking for a relationship that has the potential to turn into something more. It’s important that you look at what your goals are for using the app and make sure that you find someone with a similar goal. Otherwise, the dating app is not going to help you at all, and in fact, might just leave you getting hurt. Dating apps can be great, but like all tools, if you don’t use them correctly, they won’t help you.

Tinder vs. Bumble

Tinder and Bumble both are out there to help you find someone else. Over the years, Tinder has received a reputation as a hookup app, but that’s not all that it can be used for. A lot of people use Tinder to find real relationships, and it can be quite successful at this. The issue with Tinder is that the male to female relationship is not balanced. There are about twice as many men as women that use Tinder, and many of the men on the app are joining because they are looking for a hookup—both men and women.

With Tinder, anyone can message anyone else. However, in order to take advantage of unlimited swipes and messages, you need to purchase the upgrade to this software, Tinder Plus.

Bumble has a more even balance of men to women, with the split being about 50/50. Bumble is used more heavily as a tool to find a long term relationship. Unlike Tinder, only women can send out messages with Bumble. This puts the power in the woman’s hands for initiating contact. Bumble tends to have a more educated user base. People that use the app are more likely to be focused on the long term. This means that they are looking for successful careers, families, and the things that go along with this. This is a generalization, of course, but gives a better idea of who is most likely to use the app. Bumble does not have all of the extras that Tinder does, like Tinder Plus and Tinder Boost.

Depending on what you are looking for, either of these apps can be helpful for you. If you’re a woman, your profile is more likely to be seen on Tinder, but maybe not by the audience that you want. With Bumble, men are more likely to be seen.

Which is Best?

In reality, both apps are very good at helping you find other people. The differences in the apps certainly don’t apply to every single user on the app, and as long as you are careful about which invitations you are accepting, there’s a good chance that both apps can help you. For that reason alone, it’s probably best to use both.

Now, there’s no guarantee that you’re going to find your soulmate through a dating app, social media, or any other way. But, you can use these tools to help tilt the odds in your favor. At the very least, you are going to meet a lot of new people and make some friends in the process. Dating apps aren’t perfect, but they are one more way to meet new people, and the more often you do that, the more likely you are going to be to find the “One.”