America Is Still Sexist When Justin Timberlake STILL Headlines The Superbowl

All of the "emphasis" was put on her, and from audience reaction, she wasn't the only one who felt that way.

182
Sandro Schuh

It was recently announced that Justin Timberlake would be the half-time show performer for Superbowl LII airing February 4th 2017. And Black women everywhere gave a unified *eye roll.*

Criticism that the singer didn't do enough to rectify the infamous "Nipplegate" incident of 2004 began to surface, many still saying that he left our auntie-mama-sista-girl, Thee Miss Janet Jackson out there to hang. No pun intended. And thus, #JusticeforJanet was born on Twitter.

For those readers who are too young to remember, "Nipplegate," Janet Jackson headlined the Superbowl XXXVIII half-time show back in 2004. She invited Timberlake on stage with her to perform his hit song, "Rock Your Body." At the end of the song, Timberlake accidentally exposed her right breast while singing the words, "I'm gonna have you naked by the end of this song."

At the time, Jackson issued an apology explaining that what took place was a stunt gone wrong, which she later said she regretted making as the whole incident was a complete accident. Timberlake however, made a simple statement to Access Hollywood in which he said, "hey man, we love giving you all something to talk about." So while Janet was FORCED to apologize, Timberlake was able to slide under the radar with play-play comments.

On a 2006 episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show, Janet explained that Timberlake was only supposed to rip off the top leather piece of her corset, but unfortunately more came off that what was supposed to. In that same interview, Oprah stated that because of the exposure the FCC received 500,000 complaints, Viacom and CBS were fined over $550,000 and the NFL was forced to give back the $10mill it got from that years half-time sponsor.

The case between FCC and Viacom/CBS, "FCC v. CBS Corp." ultimately went all the way up to the supreme court and the fine was eventually dropped in 2011.

Janet also mentioned in that interview that not only had she not spoken to Timberlake in the two years since the incident took place, but that during the fall out, all of the "emphasis" was put on her, and from audience reaction, she wasn't the only one who felt that way.

Shortly before Janet appeared on Oprah, Timberlake appeared on MTV Overdrive and spoke briefly about he and Janet's performance. He said, "If you consider it 50/50, I probably got 10% of the blame. I think that says something about society. I think that America is harsher on women. I think America is unfairly harsh on ethnic people." He also expressed that he regretted not doing more at the time to defend Miss Jackson.

During the fall out, Janet was banned from that years' Grammy Awards, while Timberlake was allowed to attend and even won an award for his song, "Cry Me A River." Viacom then blacklisted Jackson's music and videos and refused to play anything from her forthcoming album, "Damita Jo."

Because of the incident, the FCC increased its indecency fine from $27,500 to $325,000 and established a 5 second delay for certain live performances.

As far as the NFL and the Superbowl, well, they somewhat boycotted female performers. Eight years went by before we saw another female performer grace the field, and that was Madonna in 2012.

There's been no word on whether or not Jackson and Timberlake ever reconciled, but what we do know is that aside from not doing much to defend Miss Janet, Timberlake has never publicly apologized to her.

So, what I expect from Justin Timberlakes's Superbowl half-time performance is as follows...

Opening: An apology to Janet Jackson

Introduction: of Janet Jackson

Set List:

Control
Pleasure Principle
Miss You Much
That's The Way Love Goes

Introduction: of Teyana Taylor

Dance Breakdown: feat. Teyana Taylor

If
Nasty
So Excited
All For You
Doesn't Really Matter

Closing:
Rhythm Nation

Camera cuts to Justin Timberlake sitting in the audience with his wife and child.