The Endless Plight Of Having A Unique Name

It ain't easy being unique (but we secretly love it).

17
Estie Pyper

Having an uncommon name comes with infinite struggles and perks. We don't get the luxury of walking through life without having to repeat ourselves a million times or knowing exactly when our Starbucks order is ready. No one else knows the pit-in-your-stomach feeling of never seeing your name on a gift shop keychain or the pain of that red squiggly line tainting your identity every time you write a paper.

We didn't choose our names! Why must we endlessly be punished for our super-creative parents?

Here are some struggles that are all too real for people in the Unique Name Club:

1. Repetition

We sound like parrots most of the time. Meeting new people, at the doctor’s office, and don’t even get me STARTED on any kind of customer service phone call.

“Estie.”
“What?”
“Estie.”
“…What??
“ES-TEE”
“Ummm….”

2. We dread introductions

They're never easy. Three minutes are spent repeating ourselves (see No. 1), two minutes spelling it out, then five minutes (at least) trying to relay your name’s life story, because the other person can’t seem to get that painfully confused look off their face.

3. Starbucks

Such a struggle. We never quite know when our coffee is ready, but when the barista stares at the cup for an extended period of time, you know who it belongs to. We’ll often resort to using an easier alias, like Kim or Sue.

4. Any souvenir with a name.

We KNOW it won’t be there. Everything logical in the universe tells us it won’t be there. But we still look. Every time. Why do we torture ourselves?!

Don't look. Don't do it.

Nope. Told you.

5. And no one wants to buy us a Coke

Cool, Dave. Enjoy your Coke, DAVE.

6. Word documents

We die a little inside when we see our name tarnished with that little red squiggle.

7. First day roll call

Professor pauses ... maybe starts to stutter... even if your name can be phonetically sounded out EXACTLY as it’s spelled ... somehow they still manage to butcher it.

8. Constant mispronunciation

“Oh Etsy, like that crafty place!” No.
“Ohhhh like Estée Lauder!” Still no.

And then there’s always that sad person who gets your name wrong again and again and again, until it’s way too late to correct them.

Yet in spite of all this, those who are lucky enough to have a unique name secretly love it. Yes, we may endure the trials listed above on a daily basis, but there are perks too.

Above all, we rejoice in the fact that we are one in a million.