"The End Of The F***ing World": A TV Show That Would Make A Better Movie

A unique story line with somewhat lovable and definitely quirky characters that could have been done better.
114

I was really intrigued by the trailer for “The End of the F***ing World” when it popped up on my Facebook timeline. I love shows that serial killers in them so I think that’s what grabbed my attention first.

The strange pairing of the guy who thinks he might be a serial killer and an angsty seventeen-year-old girl, had me convinced I’d be watching the weirdest coming of age story ever.

The Netflix original follows James, the could-be serial killer, and Alissa, the one who calls the shots. The two meet at school and James, who had been looking for his first victim, ultimately settled on killing Alissa. The two of then start spending time together and Alissa, in an act of rebellion, decides they should run away from home together.

James goes along with this in hopes of finding the perfect time to kill Alissa. As the two take off on their journey they run into a lot of bumps in the road, both externally and internally. James is conflicted about whether or not he’s actually a serial killer and Alissa grapples with the fact that she’s so disconnected with her family. All of this wrapped up in a (sort of) teen love story.

While I seemed to love both of the main characters after watching the trailer, it took me a few episodes into the season for me to like them. Both James and Alissa are very blunt characters and sometimes their dialogue was a little too unrealistic and crass in my opinion. Even in a show with such a crazy plot line you still need to have some levels of realism. I assumed I would find this in the way they speak to each other, but they had very few moments of deep communication.

In the past, with Netflix originals, the episodes have been 45 minutes to an hour long. In the case of “The End of the F***ing World,” they are only about 20 to 25 minutes long. This made the entire eight-episode season easy to binge, however, I felt like this could have almost been better in a movie format instead of breaking it up into episodes.

I enjoyed the quirky aspect of the show. While there have been plenty of "teenage lovers on the run" stories, this one was completely unique. It had some really funny moments and some serious moments as well. Even though it takes a few episodes, you do grow to care about James and Alissa.

The ending was definitely a cliffhanger, but it was a very strange ending that I didn’t really enjoy at all. I think the ending is what made me think this would be a better movie. The show itself didn’t seem to have enough momentum to have a spectacular season finale. Honestly, I don’t think the show had enough momentum to have a second season.

“The End of the F***ing World” is a unique storyline with somewhat loveable and definitely quirky characters, that would have done much better as a movie with a more solid and complete ending.

You can watch all of season one of “The End of the F***ing World” on Netflix now! Let me know your thoughts.