The Dos and Don'ts to Having a Great Summer

Because you'll want this one to count.

34
Covers Quotes and Memes

It’s what some people consider the most wonderful time of the year. The weather is warm, laying by the pool and getting tan is a regular part of life and artsy pictures of snow cones (or snoballs, sorry I’m not from South Louisiana) flood people’s Instagram feeds. Everyone always hopes to have “the best summer ever,” but sometimes we find ourselves sitting at home, clicking on the 10th episode of “The Office” for the day in the middle of July wondering where the summer went. If you want to make this one count, here’s just a few dos and don’ts to having the best, most memorable summer ever.

Do: Reconnect with your old high school friends.

Getting together again can be a flashback of good times and story time for all your crazy and embarrassing college stories.

Don’t: Forget about your family.

They have really missed you, and they could not be more excited to have the family back together again. I’m not saying lock yourself in the house and never leave, but don’t forget to spend time with the people that have always been there for you.

Do: Make a summer bucket list.

Whenever you’re sitting around your house, having a bucket list can help you combat your boredom and get you doing something fun or productive.

Don’t: Make a summer bucket list that’s unrealistic.

You might think it’s a good idea to fill your bucket list with things like “go skydiving” and “ride horseback across the country,” but if you do that, you’ll just end up staring at a disappointing and uncompleted list of awesome things you didn’t do this summer as you pack up to head back to school. Fill the list with realistic goals and just throw in a few outrageous ones (who knows, maybe you will go skydiving).

Do: Get a summer job.

One of the best ways to kill some time during the summer is by getting a job, and you won't have to deal with your parents complaining about how lazy you are.

Don't: Take a summer job that you hate.

If you know the job your applying for will be miserable, spend your time doing something else to be productive. Take a summer class or take up a new hobby. Just don't spend every day on the couch watching Netflix.

Do: Treat yo'self.

It's summer, splurge a little! Cheat on your diet and go on a late-night ice cream run with your sister. Buy that dress that you feel great in, even if it's a little more than you'd normally spend (I mean, hey, if you get that summer job, why not?).

Don't: Spend your entire life savings because "it's summer."

Yes, you want to have fun this summer, but you also want to be able to have fun when you go back to where the real party is, college.

Do: Go and do something completely out of your comfort zone.

Because you're not going to remember the moments that were easy. Go and do something you always talk about doing but never have actually acted upon.

Don't: Do something out of your comfort zone that could, I don't know, get you arrested.

If your motto is YOLO, maybe take a step back. If you've always wanted to trash your ex's car or deface your old high school's property, maybe leave that as a dream you just shouldn't pursue.

There's one million other ways to make your summer amazing, and everyone is different and has a completely different idea as to how to have an incredible summer. All I'm saying is go do whatever it is that'll make you happy because once you realize that you don't get summer break off after you graduate and enter the real world, you'll want to make each summer worthwhile.