5 Cultural Differences Between Russians And Americans That You Definitely Didn't Know

Russians are really something else, I gotta say.

185
Anna Kropov

Ever wondered about what makes Russians and Americans so different? Search no longer. Here is a short guide to what makes us stand out from each other.

1. Russians are more superstitious 

Russians are very superstitious, regardless of their religious beliefs. I can't even think of any American superstitions off the top of my head, but in Russia, almost every family I know sits down for a moment of silence before they leave for the airport. They don't whistle in the house because they'll "whistle away all their money", and you can't hug or kiss someone across a barrier or door because it's deemed bad luck, and more.

2. Russians are more reserved than Americans 

Russians do not say "Hi" to strangers when they walk past each other on the street. I honestly find it weird that Americans say, "Hi, how are you?" or maintain small talk while waiting in line at public places. I've never seen this in Russia or amongst Russian communities, as we typically keep to ourselves amongst strangers. We're simply not ones for idle talk.

3. Russians are more spiritual  

The general public is not very religious in America and this country leans more toward a secular culture, which is just about the opposite of Russia. In major Russian cities, there are churches everywhere and attending worship services (of any religion) weekly is very common in people's schedules. So many Russian cultural traditions have roots in Orthodox Christianity and the church plays a big role in Russian history. America is more liberal, and religions do not have a huge influence on the nation as a whole now.

4. Russians are very blunt compared to Americans 

In Russian culture, we expect our friends to give unsolicited advice, and not getting blunt honesty in return is a sign of a bad friend. We don't deal with evasiveness, sugarcoating, and dishonest answers. We want to know the cold, hard truth. Americans typically "beat around the bush" when it comes to these kinds of situations, or like to avoid unpleasant answers. So, if you look bad in a dress, your American friend might say "It's alright, I guess" but your Russian friend will say "That looks bad. Find something else." We don't do this to be mean, we just want to be real with you. It's a sign of trust.

5. Russians care A LOT about what other people think 

In America, there is a big movement of "Do what you want and don't care or pay attention to other people's opinions of you." American women will go to class in sweatpants and hair up in a messy bun, straight out of bed, and nobody will care. Personally, that internally horrifies me. I almost NEVER leave the house without makeup on. Russians will buy expensive clothes with big labels so they seem rich (even if they are not), that way others will have a high opinion of them. We will literally put on makeup and perfume JUST to go to the grocery store, including me because we want to look like a 10/10 wherever we go. What can I say, life is a fashion show in Russia.

While there is a lot more on this topic, I hope this can provide a little insight into the unique world of Russian culture and how we differ from Americans. As someone who is Russian and lives in the U.S., I find it interesting to see how each society lives and what I see myself leaning towards when exposed to both ways of life.