The Difference Between Protesting And Destroying.

As American’s we have the right to express our opinions, but as civil beings, it is not right to vandalize and destroy just because who you supported did not win.
1

According to Google, these are the definitions for protesting and destroying. They don't sound so similar, do they?

Protesting: express an objection to what someone has said or done; declare (something) firmly and emphatically in the face of stated or implied doubt or in response to an accusation.

Destroying: put an end to the existence of (something) by damaging or attacking.

Within the recent weeks, I believe it has become quite clear that some of us do not seem to understand the definition of protesting and destroying. Contrary to what seems to be the belief of many people, these two terms are not the same thing. With our country entering one of the most controversial presidential terms in history, it seems to be that the fine line between protesting and destroying has not only been crossed but completely and utterly lost.

We live in a country where our voices are allowed to be heard. Where we can wear what we want, say what we want, love who we want, without being punished. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and that is the fabulous thing about this country, we can state our opinions without fear of punishment. But stating your opinion and violently protesting something that in reality we as American’s can not change, at least for the next four years, is crazy.

Saying that Donald J. Trump is going to destroy this country but then smashing windows, lighting limos on fire, blocking roads, you are the ones causing the destruction in America right now. Too many people go out and destroy everything around them and then expect the help to put it all back together. As American’s we have the right to state and express our opinions, but as civil human beings, it is not right to vandalize and destroy just because who you supported did not win.

Wanting this man to fail just because you don’t agree with him, is terrible. If he fails, we fail. This country fails. This land of the free and home of the brave that allows you to express your dislike towards the president will no longer be a free speaking forum for your complaints, wants, or needs.

Standing in roadways, blocking ambulances with someone in need of medical attention is not what this country was built on. How dare you think your opinion is greater than someone else's life. Standing in the middle of the freeway and not expecting to get hit is complete insanity. Hell, my dog knows not to stand in the middle of the road, so why don’t you? To the man who lost his life to this senseless act of my heart breaks for you and your family.

To the human chain in Washington DC on the day of the inauguration, who did not allow members of our air force through, who do you think you are? Those men and women you just blocked are the reason you are able to stand there in the first place. I don’t care who you are, who you voted for, what you believe in, but never disrespect our men and women in uniform. They are the reason that you get to protest your opinion today.

To all the people who are peacefully marching, thank you. This is a country where our opinions are allowed to be heard and thank you for doing it in a respectful manner. Whether I agree with what you are doing or not, I am amazed by the class and respect this march had. These are the protest that we should be standing behind. That we should be watching. These are the people who are stating their opinion in such a way that I can’t stop paying attention. Capture your audience, don’t scare them into watching.

To all the “protestors” destroying America, you are not a protestor, you are a criminal. Remember that.

“In a gentle way, you can shake the world.” - Mahatma Gandhi