The Curse Of The Second Lead

The Curse Of The Second Lead

Have you ever wondered why the second lead is never chosen? Why he/she simply fails at getting the main character?

123
The Curse Of The Second Lead

The Second Lead: everyone knows who this person is in the story, right? I’m sure you do. He/she is the person not chosen by the main character, also known as love interest B. The second lead is the person who meets the main character AFTER love interest A has. Have you ever wondered why? I have! I’ve read books, watched television shows, watched countless of K-Drama’s where the Curse of the Second Lead is a damn near pandemic. It’s terrible. I’ll give you an example: let’s say Twilight; how many of you knew Bella should have chosen Jacob? Or that in True Blood, Sookie should have ended up with Eric instead of Bill?

Why, for the love of God, doesn’t the main character ever choose the second lead?

In most romance stories (or for any story) the main character meets love interest A right away. This is the person you know right away is end game, no matter what. But then the unexpected happens, cue, love interest B. This is the person the main character least expected to catch the feels for. Love interest B is either good or bad for the main character, depending on the circumstances", aka story line. But one thing I know for a fact is that love interest B is the person who solidifies the relationship between the main character and love interest A.

Love interest B, depending on the story, could bethe outsider, mean, rude, asshole worthy, cold, prideful, intense, prejudice, or independent. Or, they could be the kind, compassionate, funny, charming, protective, caring, kindhearted, sensitive, and he’s the perfect guy or gal. Some of us would call this guy the FRIENDZONE guy. (FYI friend zone is not part of this discussion, it just needed to be said.) One thing I do know is that love interest B is the maybe, the if, the possibility, the other road.

It’s rare when a main character ends up with the love interest B. For example, in Vampire Diaries, Elena ends up with Damien on the show, but in the book, she ends up with love interest A (Stefan). Even the writer on the show said she would have preferred Elena to end up with love interest A. Why??

The choice in Vampire Diaries reminds me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, who I spoke to a friend about recently. If you don’t know of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, shame on you. *(Spoiler)* If you don’t know, in the television show, Buffy ends up by herself; but in the comic book, she ends up with Angel “technically” (excuse me if I’m wrong, it’s been a minute since I last saw the show). I asked my friend if he thought Buffy should have gotten back with Angel. We both agreed Spike (love interest B) was a perfect fit for her. But I had always felt like she would have gone back to Angel. Why? Quoting my friend here, "Buffy and Angel had a fairy tale romance." Sure, it had its ups and downs, like whenever they had sex, Angel would lose his soul and become a crazed psycho killer, but it happens. But other than that, he was the perfect guy, caring and loving, even with more secrets and issues than Pandora's box could ever hold. Spike and Buffy were more or less equals. Spike taught her to embrace the good, bad, and ugly. Spike is the typical bad boy, he never tried to hide or pretend. He was exactly what he was, same with Damien in Vampire diaries. For this, I say maybe it’s the fact that love interest A has so many underlining qualities like Angel, Stefan, heck even Edward Cullen. They all are broken, but good people, nevertheless. Spike, Damien, and Jacob are exactly what they are, and they never try to hide their past indiscretions.

The only time love interest B has an opening is when love interest A messes up. Think of Twilight, Vampire Diaries, Shadowhunters, I Need Romance 2 and 3, etc. In Korean Drama, love interest B has no chance, no opening whatsoever, and he/she is often left pining for the main character, or...friend zoned.

So I asked a few people their thoughts on why they think love interest B always fails at getting the main character:

Jenny H. thinks love interest B is a protector Archetype rather than the Archetype of the hero or lover, who are basically meant to be a main character or in the spotlight. A protector, who is always a side or supporting character. He/she is always trying to help the main character instead of taking action.

Raymonda R. thinks that stereotyping plays a part in the down fall of love interest B. For example, the good girl going for the bad guy. Love interest B typically plays the support for the main characters, even though he/she is madly in love with the. They end up being friend zoned when there is a slight change for the better for love interest A.

As for me, I’ve come up with a number of ideas why love interest B is never chosen:

1. The second lead is, in a way, a test for the main couple’s relationship.
  2. Simply, the main character and love interest A were always meant to be. It's fate and destiny. The second lead was simply a stepping stone to reassure that
  3. Love interest B's purpose is to spice up the story to move it along.
  4. To give the main character the illusion of options. Even if a choice is already sealed.
  5. Love interest B is simply part of the path taken by the main character.
  6. Love interest B is part of the design, aka, the main character isn’t fully developed until she/he meets Love interest B.

If you guys know of any second leads who has actually succeeded in getting the main character, please let me know, and drop me a line.

Let me know your thoughts on why the second lead never gets chosen. I would love to hear your responses!

I had some help with my article and I would like to thank Jenny H., Raymonda R., Kryst G., Barbra J., and Manny R. Thank you for taking the time to talk to me!