The Cream of the Crop: Best Adrenaline-Seeking Hikes

This is a great list of the three best, most dangerous, adrenaline-seeking, fear-inducing hikes in the National Park Service.

10
Richard Murphy Photography

As an outdoors fanatic, I continuously endeavor to find the best hikes across the United States. Hiking across a flat trail is always enjoyable, but climbing through canyons on cables is a whole different game. Luckily, there are 59 National Parks for all to enjoy; each is unique and spectacular in their own way. Last year, the National Park Service recorded over 307 million visitors to the 59 parks. With this article, I would like to give you my opinion on what the three best adrenaline-rushing hikes in the United States. If you can only hike thru one or two of these ambitious trails, you can visit the best of the best.

3. To the Summit of Mount Rainier—Mount Rainier National Park

Mount Rainier National Park was the fourth established National Park. It is the closest park to Seattle with only a 64.8-mile drive from the city center. The best time to visit is in July-September as it reaches its highest temperatures around 60. Also, there is the lowest precipitation in this short time.

Mount Rainier is the tallest mountain in Washington with an elevation of 14,416 feet. With that said, the most popular hike to complete in the park is to climb to the peak of Mount Rainier. Many individuals across the United States, and the world, strive to climb to the crests of the tallest mountains in all 50 states; and one of the most favorable peaks is Mount Rainier. However, it is quite strenuous. It is 17 miles round-trip, and takes approximately 9 hours to complete. The iconic part of this hike is to walk alongside Carbon Glacier, which supplies the water to form the Carbon River. However, this glacier is the lowest-elevated glacier in the adjoining 48 states. It is phenomenal to witness.

2. Angel’s Landing (Zion National Park)

Arguably the best National Park in Utah, Zion National Park was the 16th to be established, and the first of five in Utah. Located near Springdale, Utah, Zion is best to visit in April-May for two reasons: the low crowds and the harmonic temperatures of 70-80 degrees. During this time, you will also be able to witness the blossoming of thousands of wildflowers.

Angel’s Landing holds the most iconic panorama of Zion NP. To reach the summit of 5,790 feet, one must hike 2.4 miles from the Grotto bus stop. The beginning is tough, as it contains 21 steep switchbacks, but that’s not the most dangerous part. At the end of the trail, you will walk along a steep, narrow ridge upon which you must hold onto chains locked into the sandstone. Several hikers have fallen over the years. It is imperative you never let go of the chains. The hike’s name is truly meaningful, for once you reach the summit, you witness God’s beautiful creation.

1. Half-Dome (Yosemite National Park)

Yosemite National Park was the third National Park to be established. Personally, I believe it is the most beautiful landscape in the world. The prime time to visit is in May due to the low crowds, perfect temperature around the 70s, and waterfalls’ peak in water volume. I hope everyone can have the opportunity to see this majestic heaven. I have been fortunate enough to visit three times, and every time has been better than the previous. As a result, I feel an obligation to help others make the best of their trip, as it may be their only time to visit.

If you are an ambitious hiker, I highly advise trekking to the peak of Half-Dome. To do so, one needs to apply for a hiking permit, which are given through a lottery process. I made the mistake of hiking the 18 mile round-trip trek in one day my first time. As a result, I could not enjoy the scenery as much, and my feet were more swollen. To do it perfectly, I would encourage splitting the hike in either two or three days. Either or will begin by ascending the John Muir trail to the tops of Vernal and Nevada Falls. These beautiful waterfalls are their largest in May. After 3.8 miles, you will reach Little Yosemite Valley campground, where it is best to camp over night. Then, for either trip, you should wake up early, around 6 a.m., and hike the last 5.2 miles to the summit of Half-Dome. I’d advocate taking a lot of water and a packed lunch so that you can enjoy a nice break. To climb to the top of Half-Dome, one needs to climb cable bars. It is most important to stay within the cables at all times. To have the finest grip, I recommend wearing gloves with traction, such as hiking or gardening gloves. Once you are at the summit, you can witness the rare viewpoint of the valley in its entirety. Behind, you can even see Clouds Rest, another stunning granite structure. To descend, I encourage going backwards if you are afraid of heights. After, you can return to your campsite. If you were on the two-day trek, you would continue on to Yosemite Valley. However, if you were on the three-day trek, you can spend an extra night in your tent at Little Yosemite. The next day, you can descend the 3.8 miles down the John Muir trail. Some have argued the John Muir trail is long, however, while the John Muir trail is one mile longer than the Mist trail, it is much less steep and better for your feet. This hike has been my absolute favorite throughout my life, and the memories will last forever.