The Comey Ordeal: What the Firing of the Former FBI Director Reveals About the Trump Administration

Comey's testimony and memos have shown that Trump and his associates acted in a very particular manner. Trump's character has also been called into question and Comey's revelations help the public to know what sort of leader Donald Trump really is.

13

In recent weeks, the former director of the FBI, James Comey, has come into a large public spotlight in regards to the actions of President Trump as well as his behavior within the FBI. His public testimony in front of the Senate has revealed various important aspects of the current White House administration while also exemplifying Donald Trump's administration.

First and foremost, Comey's testimony was illuminating of the emphasis Trump places on loyalty. Comey's memo detailed that Donald Trump explicitly asked for his loyalty above all else and hoped for his cooperation in future endeavors. This showcases that Donald Trump asked Comey for loyalty to him, the President, when the FBI owes no such responsibility to the President, but rather to the country. This reveals significant details about Trump's character as a leader because of this emphasis on loyalty. Instead of being a leader that incorporates other views that may be different than his own, Trump wants personnel and other directors under him that bend to his will and support his own ideas no matter how radical or wrong they may be. This can be very dangerous as a leader because it only serves to exacerbate a confirmation bias towards your own arguments that may be deeply flawed.

In addition, the entire ordeal has made an argument for Trump's actions falling in line with obstruction of justice. It is a known fact that Trump based at least partial reasoning behind firing James Comey on the premise of ending the Russia investigation between him and the other members of his administration. This action has clearly interfered with an ongoing FBI investigation into the effects and ties of the Trump administration with Russia and as such, there are grounds for obstruction of justice. Taking the steps to end an FBI investigation, regardless of fault, goes against the strong rule of law and need for intelligence this country stands on.

Furthermore, the firing of Comey showcases that Donald Trump does not fully understand politics. Assuming that Trump is innocent, firing James Comey adds fire to the smoke of foul play in the White House. If the White House allowed the investigation to proceed under normal parameters, then the FBI would have vindicated Trump and his associates. However, despite that Trump prematurely fired Comey either because there is some foul play or to avoid exposing his colleagues to anymore public scrutiny because of these allocations. If the latter is true, then the irony is that Trump's actions further increased the scrutiny that will be placed upon his administration by the public eye.

Finally, there is a significant irony in this whole ordeal with Comey. Had it not been for Comey's actions in the presidential election to reopen the FBI investigation into Hillary Clinton's emails, then he might have never been fired in the first place.