The College Uniform

The College Uniform

It's a battle of sweats versus jeans.
10

When the college norm becomes oversized sweatshirts with the school's name emblazoned on the chest, sagging sweatpants, and worn out sneakers, dressing up - or even just shoving on a pair of jeans, becomes quite a challenge for people. The students that come in looking like they spent more than three minutes picking out their clothes become the target of incredulous stares; many gawk at the effort they spend on looking nice, when in reality, they could have just grabbed the clothes on top of some piles. Those who stare in awe might even find it themselves to scoff a little bit.

What right do they have to be looking nice for school?

Well...they have every right to be dressed up. If comfort for one means sweatpants and loungewear, could translate as jeans and tucked-in cable knit sweaters for another, then what can you do? If wearing clothes that feel and remind you the warmth of a bed make you happy - then wear them. If not; if wearing pajama-like garments make you feel uncomfortable, then wear what makes you feel at ease. There should be no ostracizing made between those who prefer dressing up or down because chances are, what you see others wear ever day, is probably their style preference.

Anyway, let us say an unknown student sporadically comes up to you, telling you that your look is too much - then what would you do next? Would you change for them? Would you change yourself because of a stranger's opinion? The answer should be no. As long as you feel good and aren't harming anyone, then why should you grab those joggers in lieu of your typical black jeans? Why should you throw your beloved Adidas sweats aside for a skirt?

Just think about it. If you look at them, appalled at the effort (or lack of one) that they put in their outfit, then they are probably glancing back at you too - envying the comfort of your sweats. It can also work vice versa. Humans, at a fault, tend to ridicule or shun things or people they envy. In regards to style, then they most likely are just yearning to emulate your bravado in wearing something so comforting or done up to something so routine and plain like school.

Besides, life is too short to spend seconds ruminating over your classmate's apparel. Yes, the exuberance from that freshmen is a bit too blinding in that yellow button down, and yes, that junior is recovering from last night's party - but the point is, our clothes tell our stories. They are an extension of the person. Style is an art of expression. So maybe look away from that erratic freshman and maybe give that junior a bit of space, but don't ever put yourself on a high horse and look down on others for wearing the clothes that they want to wear.