It's Only Been One Year And My Priorities In College Have Changed A TON
Life Stages

I learned that in order to say yes to my priorities, I've had to say no to other things.

173
Personal Photo

I always knew I was going to change coming into college, but on a day-to-day basis, you don't really notice the changes happening within yourself. To you, you're just living your life as the days come by. Looking back, however, you can see the amount of change and it might even leave you kind of shocked. Sophomore me is not the same person freshman me was. I'm not saying I'm a completely different person, because a lot of things are still the same - but so much has changed too.

Freshman Priorities

1. Go out as much as I can - basically live for the weekends

As a freshman, going out can be new and exciting to some. I come from a small town, so I'd never gone to a big party let alone experienced the bar scene. It was new and it was fun! All I ever looked forward to was the weekends - pushing off a lot of important things if it meant holding me back from a night out with my girlfriends.

2. Find my husband (lol)

In high school, I always had a boyfriend so coming into college without one was kind of different for me. I was used to having someone to call my "significant other" and felt weird not having that. In turn, I spent a majority of my time looking for a guy when I should've been focusing on much more important things. Now, I can't even think about having a boyfriend.

3. Take easy classes in order to have time to do other activities

As a freshman, most of the classes I had to take were gen-eds. Instead of picking the gen ed's that I could incorporate into some of my higher level classes, I chose gen-eds that were easy. I thought that picking easy classes would give me more time to go out and join other clubs. Looking back, I wasted my time taking such irrelevant classes because as irrelevant as they were for me, they were still semi-challenging or time-consuming.

4. Make everyone in my sorority my best friend

Growing up, I always thought I would be a huge sorority girl. I'd dream about all the activities, parties, philanthropies and formals that would be associated with joining one. In the end, the sorority lifestyle wasn't what I thought it would be and I never felt at "home" as I expected. Don't get me wrong - they're all great girls and a great sorority, but it just wasn't me.

Sophomore Priorities

1. Focus on my internship

As a sophomore, I've gotten some of the best opportunities here at the University of Iowa. I'm doing things that upperclassmen and graduate students do. From doing hands-on activities with doctors to editing medical journals. It's all so exciting and new and putting my focus on this is exactly what I want to do.

2. Adopt a healthier lifestyle

Now that I don't have access to a dining hall as I did as a freshman, I'm in charge of cooking my own meals. I've always been aware of what I'm intaking, but I've never put health on the top of my priorities. If there's a choice between a slice of pizza or a salad, I'd always pick the pizza. This year it's time to focus on gaining a healthy lifestyle and workout like I used to. My workouts went from 3x a day to maybe 3x a week, and it's the year to change that.

3. Add a higher workload to my schedule

I have so many goals in life, that taking shortcuts will simply just not get me where I want to be. I want to be able to dream big but make those dreams a reality, and if I have to work harder and take more classes to make these dreams a reality then that's exactly what I'll do. I want to get my Ph.D. in clinical psychology/counseling, publish my own books and maybe even someday open my own practice. There are so many opportunities around me - and I will never get to them unless I push myself now.

5. Connect with people outside my circle

As much as I love all the girls I've met and consider them my best friends - our schedules aren't going to be the same they were freshman year. Some are living in their sorority houses, others transferred colleges, some are engaged, and others are just getting busy. It's time I open up and put effort into meeting new people in classes, around the city, and even in simple places like a coffee shop or library.

So take some time, re-organize your priorities and start off the school year on a high note.