The Road To Change Is Far From Over

The Road To Change Is Far From Over

We may have taken a right turn or accelerate our pace, but we are not at the finish line yet.

36

Last week, the 2018 midterms resulted in a Blue Wave washing over the House of Representatives. At the same time Republicans held strong in the Senate, blocking a complete Democrat takeover from occurring. Regardless of this renewed sense of gridlock, Democrats (rightfully so) are feeling a sense of accomplishment.

After two years of anticipation and momentum that was building towards November 6, the day came and ended in success. The incoming class of Congress is a record-breaking one with firsts of all kinds. The youngest woman elected to Congress. The first Muslim congresswoman. The first openly gay elected Governor. Just to name a few.

Yes, this election cycle is a time to celebrate. Trump's era of doing and saying whatever he wants without fear of any pushback from Congress as we know it is over. Democrats are no longer subject to the whims of Republicans and forced to shoot down every one of their efforts. The representation in D.C. of the national electorate is finally becoming actually representative.

However, this is not a time to claim victory. Democrats may have won the majority of the House, but they did not take over Congress. Their agenda will be on the table now, but not necessarily in any following steps.

The 2018 Midterms were a change in direction for the better. But they were not the end of the road. We may have taken a right turn or accelerate our pace, but we are not at the finish line yet.

In order to get to the change we so desperately need, we need to do most of the driving on this road.

We now need to hold these new representatives accountable. Make them make the promises that they made on the campaign trail come to fruition. Don't wait until the next election cycle to shake their hands and tell them what you need.

We need to continue to vote. Get out and vote in ALL elections. Local, state, national, special elections alike. The more you vote, the more you will be represented. Not only will you choose your leaders, but they will owe you attention if you are casting their votes and securing their jobs.

We need to demand progress. There are plenty of changes for the better that can be made on both sides of the aisle. It is us, the American public, who needs to strive for these changes.

We need to refrain from letting ourselves get complacent. These past two years have been far from still and we must keep this energy if we want more of these results.

But most importantly, we must work together. Let us take this road to change together. Rather than slicing and dicing America more, let's try to find our commonalities and work to make America what we ALL want and need.