'The Bold Type' Inspires Me--Sincerely, A Journalism Major

I want the cute clothes, the office desk job, the friends, the coffee, the early mornings and late nights, the meetings and all of the writing that comes with it.
18

As a Journalism Major, I dream big. I dream about working for a top magazine company one day or even being a part of a big radio station. There are so many possibilities when it comes to being a Journalism Major. I want the cute clothes, the office desk job, the friends, the coffee, the early mornings and late nights, the meetings and all of the writing that comes with it. I want it all, and there is no one stopping me.

I can think of many things that inspire me, but this TV show really stands out and holds the dreams that I desire. "The Bold Type" is the newest addition to Free Form, and it is one of the most honest and best shows from Free Form. "The Bold Type" is about three girls, Sutton, Jane and Kat.

These three girls are straight out of college following their dreams by working for "Scarlet Magazine" where they cover current issues, sex and relationships. These three girls are the best of friends, they stick together through thick and thin and help each other achieve their dreams. Even though each one of them works there and there is competition with in the company they all are after different areas and stand for greater meanings.

Sutton, the girl who was an assistant. She was always going on green drink runs for her boss, and even though she loved the opportunity of this job there was something more she wanted. While Sutton was going to take a job in the marketing part of Scarlet, she knew she was only doing it for the money. She knows the weight of loans she carries with her on a daily basis, so the marketing job was a huge pay raise. Deep down she was not happy with this decision and knew she should follow her dreams. When the Fashion Department of Scarlet needed an assistant Sutton jumped to it. She might not have much experience, but it is her dream. The pay was less than her original assistant position but it was not going to stop her from being happy and living her dream. We, as Journalism Majors, take risks. There might be times where we are not paid great, but we take the risk because we knew this was part of it. In the end, it's not about money but about how you want to live your life and what will make you happy.

Jane, the writer of the girls. She is living her dream by sharing her work with the world. Although, sharing comes with difficulty. Jane has trouble getting deep and personal in her writing, and her boss helps push that out of her. Being a part of Scarlet is personal, and many of the articles Jane has had to write have been personal. She writes for a magazine that expresses a lot of relationship issues and well, Jane has not been in love before. So, she struggles with that aspect, but she uses it to her advantage by writing about how it is OK to be the way she is. Not everyone is the same, and it is OK to be different. Jane was sued because of an article she wrote, and in the real world, that is how it works. There are ups, and there are definitely downs to the world of journalists. They get sued on some levels, and it is difficult to keep up with the writing.

Kat, the social media director of Scarlet. Kat is not afraid to voice her opinion, and sometimes, it gets her in trouble with the board of directors because something is not allowed to be posted on social media. Kat in confident in her opinions and beliefs, but she does struggle with her sexuality that soon gets in the way of her job. She learns to fire someone and how to correctly address problems. She supports and cares about current issues and is not shy to show it. Kat is all of us, always trying to do the right thing. We so badly want to side with a group and share our opinions, but when you are in control of the company's social media that you work for it becomes difficult. You always have to watch what you say.

"The Bold Type" is everything I want in my dream job. So I really want to thank Free Form and everyone who put this show together. It inspires me and gives me hope. I cannot wait to accomplish my dreams after college. I want all the highs and lows. So thank you "The Bold Type" for keeping it true.