The Blues Are Pushing For Playoff Contention

The St. Louis Blues could miss the playoffs for the first time since the 2010-11 season.

61
Wikipedia

The St. Louis Blues are hitting their final stretch of the season and are still on the outside looking in on the final NHL Wild Card spot.

The month of March was good for the Blues as they went on a seven-game win streak putting them back into playoff contention. Although all good things must come to an end, and the streak did for St. Louis by the way of the newest NHL expansion team the Vegas Golden Knights. Vegas secured a 4-3 OT win and captured the Pacific Division championship, the best start for an expansion team ever.

But back to St. Louis, after the loss to the Golden Knights the Blues had a bounce-back opportunity against the struggling Arizona Coyotes. The Coyotes took advantage of a tired Blues squad coming off of their second game in as many days and rolled to a 6-0 victory.

This stretch of two straight losses couldn’t come at a worse time, knocking St. Louis out of their playoff spot with four games left in the season. St. Louis’ final four games are against some tough competition: the Washington Capitals, arch-rival Chicago Blackhawks for two games, and then finishing off against the Colorado Avalanche.

Colorado is one point ahead of St. Louis keeping them out of the Stanley Cup playoffs. The Blues will need at least one point (taking a game to OT is one point, winning a game is three) in each of the remaining matchups to keep their playoff dream alive or hope Colorado goes cold in their final three games.

Colorado will be going up against the Los Angeles Kings who are a point ahead of them in the first of two Wild Card spots, the San Jose Sharks who will give teams trouble in the postseason, before the April 7 clash with the Blues. This means that the Blues season could very well be on the line in Denver.

St. Louis has been led by newcomer Brayden Schenn who leads the team in total points and assists, and Vladimir Tarasenko who leads the team with 31 goals. Schenn’s puck-moving ability and vision along with Tarasenko’s talent putting pucks on net will be a major factor coming down the stretch for the Blues.

St. Louis will surely play with tons of energy in these final games, they know what’s on the line. Hopefully, the Blues have saved their best hockey for last and can somehow turn a wildcard spot into their first ever Stanley Cup.

LGB!