In The Blink Of An Eye, It's Gone

In The Blink Of An Eye, It's Gone

You are not immune to death.

13
Jasmine Moses

In the blink of an eye, your life, my life, their life could be gone. Recent horrific events have proven this. Whether it was the Orlando shooting or killing of YouTuber Christina Grimmie. Whether it was a two-year-old kid who got dragged into the water by an alligator or my previous classmate from college who passed away. Life is precious. Life is valuable. Life is short. I could sit here and tell you how horrible these incidents were and how sad it has been to witness these things. Don’t get me wrong, it has been, and I wish all who have been affected peace in this troubling time. However, I believe that we all need a wake-up call.

You are not immune to death. Neither am I. Nor is your family, friends or those you look up to. I am not saying this to be harsh or to seem mean. I am not saying this to make you mad or upset. I am saying this because we all need to hear it. I need to hear it, and so do you.

Your life could be going so well. You could have a good job, a family, a wonderful home and the like. However, all of that, in the blink of an eye, could come crashing down. Why are you saying this, Jasmine?

Well, I will tell you. We can’t live life afraid to do something, to be who we are meant to be, to truly live. You only have one life. You might say I will do it tomorrow, but why not today? You can’t afford to push things off or to be complacent. You can’t afford to live in the shadows or do what society deems to be “a normal life.”

What is normal really? I have always admired those who fought for what they wanted, what they had a passion for, what they believed in.

What would be better? You tell me: Living your life to the fullest and doing the things that you love or being afraid that others will look at you differently.

Jesus Christ is a prime example of someone who, despite what others said or did, stood for what was right. He knew that his calling was to die for all of us so that we would have an opportunity to inherit the kingdom of God. He spoke the gospel to others, and despite being beaten, mocked and hung on a cross, he knew this was what he had to do, needed to do, was destined to do.

Death isn’t easy for any of us, especially the family members of those who have passed away in the past, present or distant future. However, it has taught me that life is a gift, and I have to life it according to my passions, dreams, goals and aspirations.

I cannot let the voices in my head and around me dictate where I will go and what I will do, and neither can you. You have to live your life as if no one is watching because in a blink of an eye, it’s gone.