The Biggest 'November Surprise' For Me This Year Is That I'm Still Proud To Be An American

There is still hope for the future.

191

Despite all of the crazy occurrences that have made 2020 the worst year ever, there is one thing that sparked my faith in humanity, something I thought would never return again. The day that I went to the polls on Election Day, was one of the most exciting and terrifying moments of my life. This was the time, where I could help to restore America back to a sense of normalcy and prevent another four more years Donald Trump's disaster of a presidency all by casting my vote.

After going home that day I felt relieved for doing my part as an American by exercising my right to vote and make a difference. The next morning when I got up to check the updated results of the election and saw that Joe Biden was winning the Electoral College, I smiled with enthusiasm. Watching the news, and seeing Biden securing victory in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan (where Trump had won four years ago) felt amazing. America was rejecting the insecure bully that only cared about himself and making the smart choice by electing a real President that will lead this country forward towards progress.

The absentee ballots are what helped Biden to gain a lead and flip states blue (aside from key states like Florida and North Carolina) since Trump had told his supporters to avoid mail-in voting at all costs, accusing the post office of rigging the election.

With the ongoing issues caused by COVID-19, protests in the streets to combat racism, thousands of lives lost, and millions of people becoming unemployed, Biden's victory and his promises to work with scientists to combat the virus, help the economy recover, and defend the rights of every American is the sign of optimism we need right now. I'm proud to witness history being made, not only for Joe Biden who broke the record for the most votes of any president (including Barack Obama), but also Biden's running mate Kamala Harris who is going to be the first black and south Asian woman elected vice president.

In typical fashion, Donald Trump is going to keep lying, complaining, threatening, and fighting against the system due to his refusal to accept defeat. However, Americans will only have to put up with his pathetic tantrums until January 20, 2021 when Biden and Harris officially take office and Trump will be forced to leave the White House whether he concedes or not.

One of the things that made me smile was finding out that Trump lost by the same margin that he had won four years ago. Although this year will soon be in the past, the negative impact and scars it has left behind will heal with time. America, along with the rest of the world is going to recover.

Just like Joe Biden promised at the Presidential debates and during his speeches, he will support every American no matter their color, nationality, gender or political beliefs. As an American, I will do my part by continuing to educate myself, work hard, and live in the moment because after what everyone has gone through in 2020 and the last four years, we all deserve a better future.