The 10 BEST Studying Techniques, If You Actually Care

Hint: reading your notes over and over doesn't work!

358
Suganth

We've all been there. Go into a class, take the first test, and realize that we really have no idea how to study for it. When taking maybe three to four classes, on average it leaves you many ways to study. If you're running out of ideas on how to study then these tips are here to help!

1. Start early!

The best advice I can give is to start studying early. That way not only are you not stressed but you know you have time to review the information, try different techniques, and talk to your professor if you have questions. DON'T CRAM!!

2. Try making flashcards!

Flashcards are great for heavily based vocab classes and classes where you test over large amounts of information. You can find flashcards almost anywhere! You can put your study guide questions on them or put vocab you can't remember. Flashcards allow you test yourself on the subject while getting the repetition of studying it.

3. Attend review sessions/study groups

Ask your professor if they have review sessions available, or form your own study groups. This can help you in multiple ways! If you don't understand a concept a peer or someone who has taken the class before, can explain it. It allows you to bounce questions off one another. If you can explain a concept to another person, there is good chance you fully understand it.

4. Cornell notes

This is great for history, sciences, and even social sciences. How this works, is you take a piece of paper and divide it into three sections. The line you draw will be the left of your paper. This the section you label "Main Point/Topics".

Then you have the middle section of the paper. This is where you go as detailed as you can into the main points or topics you wrote. Lastly, you draw a line on the bottom of the page. This is the "In Your Own Words" section, here you should be able to summarize and explain the points above without reading it. Ultimately, you are writing your notes three times.

5. Make diagrams/charts

If you have to compare the difference between two things, make it more fun and visually appealing. Color code and explain the differences between them. This allows you to rewrite what you learned, but also to put in your words and look at it in a new way. This technique is great for a visual learner!

6. Create your own test questions, or look up test questions on your topic.

This not only tests your knowledge on the subject.But it will help you understand the material and see what other questions professors asked. Create your own study guide if your professor didn't provide you with one.

7. Teach someone else!

A great technique for any learner is being able to teach someone else on the topic. Grab a classmate, friend or even your mom and try to teach them what you're being tested on. You can learn what topics you need to review and what ones you understand.

8. Take breaks!

While it might seem like it's a good idea to stay focused for hours. Taking breaks is good for you and your brain. If your struggling to remember a concept, take a break from it and come back to it. Most likely, you'll be able to get it. Just like your body needs to rest after a workout, so does your brain.

9. Stay well rested!

Getting sleep is so important before a big test. If you've started studying ahead of time, use the night before the test to review concepts you've been struggling with. Get lots of sleep and go into the test confident.

10. Outline your notes!

This is a great way to outline your notes and understand how everything connects. It allows you to put them in your own words and see what you do and don't understand! And remember to ask your professor if you have any questions or need help!