The Benefits of a Meditation Chair

The Benefits of a Meditation Chair

One of the great benefits of meditation is that it can be practiced anywhere and anytime. But you will probably have noticed if you practice daily that it is not always simple.

23

That's why a lot of accessories have emerged in recent years. Of course, none is mandatory, one only really needs his mind to practice, but let's say that meditation props like the chair we are going to talk about today can have a positive effect on practice.

Whether you use a meditation chair or a meditation cushion (zafu), you will quickly feel the benefits, especially in comfort. For example, the meditation chair is particularly useful for those who feel the need for support, support for the back, or who simply can not sit comfortably on the floor.

Finally, note that most meditation chairs are not strictly speaking chairs, but are more like seats. Some are also in the form of a bench.

WHY USE A MEDITATION CHAIR?

Most meditation chairs are compact and lightweight, so you can easily store and carry them (a little meditation in the sun in the garden does not refuse), ideal for meditators/travelers!

Some models are very low and very comfortable, others have higher. The principle remains the same: to relieve the pressure that gradually accumulates in the lower back and the legs in addition to favoring a good alignment of the back.

Rather chair or meditation cushion?

As a rule, cushions have no built-in backrest. It's up to you to see if you are able to sit comfortably in a meditation posture that naturally promotes back alignment (like the lotus or half-lotus) a cushion may be enough.

1) Helps maintain a good meditation posture

The posture is essential in any practice of meditation, it is said that good posture promotes rooting and awareness. Your back should be as straight as it can be comfortable to promote the flow of energy flow during the session.

Needless to say, long, regular sessions in bad meditation can lead to pain that can distract your mind.

A specially designed meditation chair will support natural alignment in the different sitting or kneeling positions. An ergonomic meditation chair (like the luxurious Alexia model above) will give you the support you need to keep your spine aligned.

2) Strengthens the concept of dedicated meditation space

I've already told you about an article, it is very important (in my opinion) to have its own space dedicated to meditation, even if it is only a small piece of a piece.

Having this dedicated space helps you develop your meditation habit.

As a practitioner, I think we all dream of having a beautiful well-appointed and well-decorated meditation room in which we find all our favorite relaxation tools.

The reality is that most of us do not have space and that's normal. But as I said, even if you can only devote one corner of a room (temporarily arranged for practice), this corner can be "formalized" by the addition of a meditation chair. Nestled in your daily meditation chair, you'll easily pick up the pace.

In addition, this chair is a visual reminder that you must meditate, you must grant yourself this time.

3) Brings comfort and removes any inconvenience

You have probably already meditated by sitting directly on the ground. If you're like me, you must have felt that after a few minutes, your buttocks start to ache.

Then follow a series of movements and readjustments and a distraction of the mind by this discomfort manifested by the buttocks, legs or back. As a result, you are unable to concentrate on your breathing, your mantra, or your visualization.

A meditation chair helps combat these discomforts to stay alert.

4) Makes meditation more accessible

If you are old or your body has suffered a lot of injuries, you may be looking at pictures of meditators kneeling or in a lotus position on the floor, thinking, " This is definitely not for me! "

Sitting properly is an important part of meditation, you must be able to sit upright and without feeling any discomfort. A meditation chair makes the practice more accessible and more attractive.

The Buddha would certainly never have accepted to use a meditation chair and this is probably related to our Western practice of meditation, but we must accept that meditation evolves. It is not a crime to use a little comfort or the use of a mobile phone to be guided in a session. I would say that any accessory that helps to acquire the habit of meditating regularly is good to take.

The essential thing is what's going on in your head.