The Belchers Deserve More Credit Than They Get

Smart, strong, and sensual characters.

10

Bob's Burgers is a cartoon featuring a family of five and a burger restaurant. I have seen every episode of Bob's Burgers and to be honest, I've learned a lot from it. The family is comprised of Bob and Linda (the parents) and their three kids, Tina, Louise, and Gene. The Belcher family isn't rich, the kids aren't popular, and none of the characters are particularly good looking. The family is average, but I think that's spectacular. These characters, though fictional, are characters that I admire.

Bob:

It was Bob's dream to open up a burger joint, so he did. His restaurant might not be thriving, but he's not giving up. His competitor, Jimmy Pesto, has a packed restaurant every night, but he is a cheapskate and serves his customers lower quality food, which Bob is not willing to do. Bob doesn't take the simple way out, he doesn't give up on his dream, and he does not lessen the quality just to make money. Bob is someone to look up to because he continues to follow his dream, even though he has not been blessed with great fortune.

Linda:

Linda is a great mom. This gif is from the episode in which she threw Louise a surprise sleepover and did everything she could to give Louise a great night. There are many episodes in which Linda sings. She's not exactly what I would call talented, but she does it because she loves it. There's an episode in which Linda performs at her high school reunion. She tried backing out for fear of what her former classmates would do, but after a pep-talk from the babysitter she decides to perform. Linda didn't care what the audience thought or said, instead she went out for herself and had a blast. This is something that can be taken away from the Belcher family as a whole.

Louise:

Louise is a firecracker. She is the youngest of the three children, but she she doesn't let her age determine anything. She is a fierce and strong leader. She is the mastermind behind most of the kids shenanigans. She is an extremely intelligent character, as shown through her many plots. To many she many seem like a selfish character who is only looking out for herself, but I would disagreed. She loves her family very much, especially her siblings. In one episode Tina is not invited to Tammy's birthday party. She weasels her way in by getting her dad a catering gig. Tina just wants to be out with her schoolmates enjoying her time, but instead she gets stuck catering and later managing the party. At one point during the episode Louise finds herself with the birthday girl stuck in a giant head hanging over the party. Louise could have gotten them out of the head, instead she remained stuck so that her sister could have a special night. Tina ended up getting all of the attention at the party making it an unforgettable night, which was all thanks to Louise. Louise also stood up to a teenage boy who took her bunny ears. Most kids would have given up their possession to a teenager out of fear, but not Louise. I look up to Louise because she is strong leader and though she has a tough exterior, she cares very much for her family.

Gene:

Gene is just a goofball. He's a pudgy little thing, but he doesn't care. He knows it and he accepts it. Unlike Family Guy, Gene isn't teased for being a little chunky like Chris is. Gene also loves music and his family supports him. He got a gig at Jimmy Pestos and his family came to watch. Pesto's is the competition so you would expect a family to stay away from a competing business, but supporting one another is more important to the Belchers. Also, Gene's music isn't typical. He tends to use a lot of sound effects, including fart noises. I appreciate that this show normalizes bodily functions. Gene burps and farts up a storm and all the characters poop. Gene also isn't afraid to tell his sisters that he loves them. I have a little brother and he gets pretty embarrassed when I tell him that I love him in public, but Gene owns it.

Not only does Gene love his sisters, but he also helps them out. In the episode in which the kids get stuck in a taffy factory, Tina says she's cold and would like someone's jacket or pants, she was hinting at Jimmy Junior, but Gene didn't hesitate to give his sister his pants. Gene is a sweet kid, who doesn't care what other people think and that is why I love his character.

Tina:

Those gifs just about sum Tina up. She is a smart, strong, and sensual woman. She isn't the most popular or the most beautiful girl at school, but she is the most confident. I honestly think Tina makes a great role model. The character is voiced by a man, that decision was probably made for comedic reasons, but I think it's fabulous that a female character is given more masculine traits and that isn't seen as wrong. Tina is very sexual. She loves boys, butts, and especially boys' butts, but she isn't characterized as a slut. It's refreshing to see a sexuality normalized and not seen as whoreish behavior. I relate to Tine and I look up to her character. It's not wrong to be confident with yourself, nor is it wrong to be open about your sensuality. Tina owns it and I think everyone should!

All in all, the Belcher family is a family to look up to. They aren't the prettiest bunch, they aren't rich, and they are not popular in their community, but that doesn't stop any of them from being who they are. These characters resemble average people, but they're still fabulous! The Belcher family is a family is a family that should be admired.