What Makes A Woman Beautiful

What Makes A Woman Beautiful

She’s not perfect, but she’s a bird with a broken wing who continues to fly.

54
What Makes A Woman Beautiful

“I feel fat. Ugly. Ugh.”

“I hate my body.”

“These jeans make my butt look gigantic.”

“If only I didn’t have severe acne.”

“If only I didn’t have these love handles…”

“If only I didn’t have thunder thighs”

“Ugh. I hate myself.”

“Can I cut off my stomach fat?”

“I feel worthless…”

“If only I looked like her… then I’d feel BEAUTIFUL.”

These are merely a few words I’ve heard from women in my lifetime. I’ve gone into shopping changing rooms to try on clothes and hear how the women near my changing stalls feel severely unsatisfied with how they do not feel beautiful in their clothes. The dress. The jeans. Whatever it may be.

In high school, I’ve heard these exact words from high school girls; all of them desiring to look like the Cover Girls.

It is unsettling and upsetting, but a reality among many girls and women in society today. They endure a never ending cycle of not feeling beautiful.

This brings me to a topic the Holy Spirit laid on my heart this week: beautiful women. During this time, I have pondered over what it means to be a “beautiful woman” and the characteristics that it brings.

Before I dive into the notion of a “beautiful woman”, I would like to look at the definition of beauty. According to Dictionary.Com, beautiful is used as an adjective: it is defined as: “having beauty; possessing qualities that give great pleasure or satisfaction to see, hear, think about, etc, delighting the senses or mind."

Now let’s take this definition and see how it can be applied.

I began my pondering by googling, “beautiful women” and sure enough, the perspective of beauty was geared toward the outward appearance.

As I was scrolling through various different perspectives, I can honestly tell you that I thought each perspective was shallow, meaningless and empty. Not only because it failed to mention beauty pertaining to the inside, but because it lacked essence. Essence to see that beauty entails more than outward beauty. It failed past to look beyond a woman’s waist, clothing, body and other outward body parts.

I want you to pause for a second. If “beautiful” is supposed to give great pleasure, what is wrong with outside beauty?

Surely, there is nothing wrong with looking at outside beauty. I merely have an issue if one fails to look past the outward appearance.

Beauty can certainly encapsulate what is pleasing to the eye of the beholder, even from afar or looking at beauty from the outside in and inside out. I am not telling anyone how they should define “beautiful”. That isn’t my place, for beauty is biased.

I am, however, giving you an opportunity to evaluate what a beautiful woman may look like.

I have no definite answer as to how a beautiful woman should look, but I can tell you that I believe a beautiful woman is characterized by a Christ- like aura.

She moves with grace, grace in the sense of forgiving others, not with movement.

She has the ability to love like Christ, where “love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not seeking, it is not easily angered. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with truth.” ( 1 Corinthians 13:4-8). I deem this following principle a rare one. Many women are secretly jealous of one another. They self-seek.

In all the years in which I’ve lived, I found it a rarity for women to love. To love a special kind of love that does not boast. Rarity is a beauty. It is a true gem stone that can be plastered on a woman’s heart sleeve if she so chooses.

It’s the ability to apply the unseen to the seen. The application of moving away from the in crowd and travel on the path less taken. She is a woman that is broken. Even if she travels off course she will eventually find her way back. She’s not perfect, but she’s a bird with a broken wing who continues to fly.