The Basics of Defensive Driving in sunset and heavy traffic

if you keep your defensive driving skills up to date, you might be able to avoid problems caused by other people's bad driving.

11
Defensive Driving

Introduction

Sunset is a wonderful thing. Whether it's in the middle of the day or at night, it has this magical quality to it. However, driving in sunset can be quite difficult because your eyes aren't fully adjusted to the brightness of the sun yet. If you want to avoid running into any obstacles while driving, make sure you have safe driving habits.

If you've ever been on the road, you know that not everyone is a good driver, even though most people think they are. Some people drive too quickly. Others get into the wrong lane because they aren't paying attention. Drivers may follow too closely, change lanes suddenly without signaling, or weave in and out of traffic.

Aggressive drivers are dangerous on the road because they cause one-third of all car accidents. But "distracted driving" is becoming more of a problem as people "multitask" by talking on the phone, texting or checking messages, eating, or even watching TV while driving.

You have no control over how other drivers act on the road. But if you keep your defensive driving skills up to date, you might be able to avoid problems caused by other people's bad driving.

Having the ability to take charge

Before you get behind the wheel of that two-ton frame of glass and steel, here are some ways to stay in charge:

Maintain your concentration

When you're driving, you have a lot to think about: the road conditions, speed, location, traffic rules, signs, signals, road markings, following directions, being aware of the cars around you, checking your mirrors, and so on. If you want to drive safely, you need to pay attention to driving and only driving.

Distractions, like talking on the phone or eating, make it harder for a driver to spot and deal with problems. Young drivers aren't the only ones to blame. Experienced drivers may get too sure of themselves and let their driving skills get worse. Everyone who drives needs to remind themselves to stay focused.

Keep an eye out

Being alert (instead of sleepy or drunk) lets you respond quickly to potential dangers, like when the driver in front of you slams on the brakes at the last second. Alcohol and drugs, both prescription and illegal, make it hard for a driver to react quickly and make good decisions. Drunk driving has the same effect and is one of the most common reasons for car crashes. So, get some rest before you hit the road.

Watch what the other person does

To stay in control, you must be aware of the other drivers and road users around you and what they might do unexpectedly. If a car passes you on the highway, but there isn't much space between the car and a slow-moving truck in the same lane, the driver will probably try to move into your lane right in front of you. If you try to guess what another driver might do and make the necessary changes, you might be able to reduce your risk.

The Seven Secrets to Superb Driving

When you drive defensively, you are aware of what's happening around you and ready for anything. You're careful but also willing to act if it means not leaving your fate up to other drivers. The US Department of Transportation says that 90 percent of all accidents happen because of something the driver did wrong.

These ways to drive defensively may help you lower your risk on the road:

First, think about your safety

If you don't drive aggressively or without paying attention, it will be easier for you to deal with people who drive badly. Give yourself much space between yourself and the car in front of you. Always lock your doors and put on your seatbelt, so you don't get thrown out of the car in an accident.

Stay Alert

Check your mirrors often and look 20 to 30 seconds ahead of you to see what's happening. Keep moving your eyes around. Slow down or stop if you want to avoid getting hit by a car going too fast. If the driver is driving so dangerously that you are worried, you can turn right or take the next exit if it is safe. Keep an eye out for people, bikes, and dogs along the road.

Don't depend on other drivers

Be aware of others and watch out for yourself at the same time. Don't assume that another car will move out of the way or merge with you. Expect drivers to run red lights or stop signs and be ready to do something about it. Plan your moves so that you are ready for the worst-case scenario.

Follow the rule of thumb of 3 to 4 seconds

The 3- to 4-second rule will help you set and keep a safe distance behind the car in front of you. It will also give you enough time to stop if you need to since the biggest chance of a crash is in front of you. But this rule only works when there is regular traffic and good weather. You should add an extra second to your following distance when driving in bad weather, like rain, fog, at night, or behind a big truck or motorbike.

Slow your speed

The speed limits are for the best possible driving conditions. You are responsible for ensuring your speed is right for the situation. Also, going faster makes it harder to control your car if something goes wrong. To stay in charge of your car, you must keep your speed in check.

Plan how you will get out

The best way to stay safe while driving is to put your car where you can see and be seen the most. It's also important to have a backup plan in case something unexpected stops you on your main route. Always leave yourself a way out, a place where you can turn around if your main route suddenly gets blocked.

Get rid of distractions

A distraction is anything that takes your mind off of what you're doing, which is driving. Driving needs your full attention, so keep your mind on what you're doing.

If you want to take a defensive driving course to help you get better at driving. In that case, you can contact the best driving school in Lahore, Pakistan. They provide superb and complete training to their students in defensive and basic driving skills and help them physically and online.

Article about Defensive Driving