Poetry On Odyssey: To The Anxious Ones

Poetry On Odyssey: To The Anxious Ones

Resilience always wins in the end.
257

To the Anxious Ones:

my dearest,

you may think that you are

invisible

isolated

forgotten;

no one can know what you are feeling.

lying in your bedroom

an exhausted body dueling a restless mind.

the heart begins to beat with the pulse of a raging thunderstorm;

the lungs act as if you were suddenly on the peak of Mt. Everest.

everything seems

thunderous

belligerent

unresponsive.

colors around you begin throbbing

invisible bricks piled on top of your chest.

the weight is unbearable;

once again you collapse further into your bed

into the mold created by anxiety.

once you are in, it’s nearly impossible to get out.

salty waters plagued with worry stream from your eyes,

surging at a rate impossible to stop.

maybe if you close your eyes, it will stop…

another night claimed by silent sobs.

my dearest,

anxiety is a plague,

a destructive and debilitating one at that.

however, I need you to know this one thing:

each anxiety attack you battle, whether you

win

lose

call a draw,

brings you one step closer to winning the war.

suffering in life will never change; it eternally returns.

with each battle against the eternally returning suffering,

you learn how to

better equip yourself

utilize the moment for what it is

learn how to recover and grow.

it will not easy or fast;

it is a lifelong process that is

unbelievably profound and tasking, but worth it all.

I promise you, you are not alone in this.

my dearest,

I believe in you.

you may not win each battle, but you will win the war.

-Resilience always wins in the end.

Cover Image Credit: Pexels

Everything You Will Miss If You Commit Suicide

The world needs you.
1009582

You won't see the sunrise or have your favorite breakfast in the morning.

Instead, your family will mourn the sunrise because it means another day without you.

You will never stay up late talking to your friends or have a bonfire on a summer night.

You won't laugh until you cry again, or dance around and be silly.

You won't go on another adventure. You won't drive around under the moonlight and stars.

They'll miss you. They'll cry.

You won't fight with your siblings only to make up minutes later and laugh about it.

You won't get to interrogate your sister's fiancé when the time comes.

You won't be there to wipe away your mother's tears when she finds out that you're gone.

You won't be able to hug the ones that love you while they're waiting to wake up from the nightmare that had become their reality.

You won't be at your grandparents funeral, speaking about the good things they did in their life.

Instead, they will be at yours.

You won't find your purpose in life, the love of your life, get married or raise a family.

You won't celebrate another Christmas, Easter or birthday.

You won't turn another year older.

You will never see the places you've always dreamed of seeing.

You will not allow yourself the opportunity to get help.

This will be the last sunset you see.

You'll never see the sky change from a bright blue to purples, pinks, oranges, and yellows meshing together over the landscape again.

If the light has left your eyes and all you see is the darkness, know that it can get better. Let yourself get better.

This is what you will miss if you leave the world today.

This is who will care about you when you are gone.

You can change lives. But I hope it's not at the expense of yours.

We care. People care.

Don't let today be the end.

You don't have to live forever sad. You can be happy. It's not wrong to ask for help.

Thank you for staying. Thank you for fighting.

Suicide is a real problem that no one wants to talk about. I'm sure you're no different. But we need to talk about it. There is no difference between being suicidal and committing suicide. If someone tells you they want to kill themselves, do not think they won't do it. Do not just tell them, “Oh you'll be fine." Because when they aren't, you will wonder what you could have done to help. Sit with them however long you need to and tell them it will get better. Talk to them about their problems and tell them there is help. Be the help. Get them assistance. Remind them of all the things they will miss in life.

If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline — 1-800-273-8255