How To Thank A Veteran On Veterans Day

An Overdue 'Thank You' To The Underappreciated Soldier

You have made the ultimate sacrifice, and there will never be enough words to thank you, but I will try.

152
Staff Sgt. Kyle Davis. / Public Domain

First, I want to say thank you for everything you have done for this country and everything you have given up to keep it, and the people in it free and safe.

Second, I want to say I am sorry for those who do not appreciate your service, the benefits you are not awarded and all the things you have had to go through and give up to keep the United States of America the best country in the world.

I apologize that you have to spend your holidays, birthdays and anniversaries with the enemy and that your family and friends have to celebrate and spend those without you, but I want to thank you for sacrificing things like this, so that Americans can spend Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Independence day, or whatever holiday they chose to celebrate without fear of that right being taken away from them.

I apologize to your parents, spouses, children, siblings, grandparents, and best friends that they have to worry so much about your safety and wait so long for your safe return. I apologize that they have to share you and that you must take time away from them, but I want to thank them for taking on that stress and giving up that time with someone they love so much for the safety and freedom of their country.

I apologize for the things you have been through, seen and experienced while serving and protecting this country. I apologize for the friends you have lost in these battles and the “war” that you must continue to fight once you are back home, and I apologize that people are unable to feel this pain for you, but I thank you for continuing to serve and for never losing sight of what you were fighting for.

I apologize for the people in this country that are burning the American flag that you so heroically and selflessly fought for so they would have the freedom to do such things, and I apologize for the benefits that you do not receive, but I thank you for serving this country — not for the money, not for the honor, but for the love you have for you home.

I want to thank you for being the ultimate hero, and sacrificing for America such a large part of your life, self and time, and I want to apologize that America can never give you anything significant enough for all of these sacrifices.